So how do they do that?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
I was having a rattle around the internet over the weekend looking for some ideas of what to try my hand at next on the lathe, and I came across a few sites showing split vase’s and I was wondering how it is done (not that I think I will be up to trying it just yet)

586_small.jpg

I’ve had a bit of a think on how they do it but were wondering if anyone would care to confirm or deny my thoughts

1. Rough turn a vase shape in green wood.

2. Bore a hole down the centre.

3. Cut the slots into the vase using a parting tool.

4. Either wrap the vase up in the sawdust in a paper bag or nuke it in the microwave.

So how far off am I???

Simon

Simon,

I think you may find that they are hollowed as well as even wall thickness on all parts is the secret to stopping the whole thing splitting on you.

For a more refined (in my opinion anyway) version, have a look towards the bottom of the following page at way are refered to as 'Sea Flowers'.

http://www.hegner.co.uk/pages/VB36/Desi ... _view.html

BRgds
Simon.

SVB":1zuhr3kp said:
Simon,

I think you may find that they are hollowed as well as even wall thickness on all parts is the secret to stopping the whole thing splitting on you.

For a more refined (in my opinion anyway) version, have a look towards the bottom of the following page at way are refered to as 'Sea Flowers'.

http://www.hegner.co.uk/pages/VB36/Desi ... _view.html

BRgds
Simon.

Blummin Heck Simon... did you see that commissioned piece by the "Worshipful Company of Turners" for the 400th anniversary of the guild. One heck of a lathe to have the finished piece weigh 1/4 ton. How heavy must it have been in blank form... :shock:

Some say the name VB is from the designers.

Others know it means Very Big!

Top toy!

Simon.

Back