So, BE chisels...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're handles are battered beyond repair and you've got access to a lathe, London Pattern handles are IMO very cool. These are some made in English Walnut...

IMG_2722.jpg

...fitted to some gouges I sold recently - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 260
Well I assume the OP has the message about sticking to old chisels.
Maybe he would now like us to explain the best way to sharpen them :D

The other alternative to old or Western style contemporary modern chisels is to examine some of the offerings from Japan. That said, they're completely different and are a bit of a 'learning curve' until you get used to them, but they will take and hold an exquisite edge - Rob

lurker":38a2p3hp said:
Well I assume the OP has the message about sticking to old chisels.
Maybe he would now like us to explain the best way to sharpen them :D
Actually, I would, and was planning on making a different thread on this.
I've seen a lot online about Japanese water stones, but have never used one. They seem to be a pain use compared to oil stones, but it seems everyone (aka people selling them) are claiming they're the best thing ever.

Are they really worth getting?

woodbloke66":2aod242y said:
The other alternative to old or Western style contemporary modern chisels is to examine some of the offerings from Japan. That said, they're completely different and are a bit of a 'learning curve' until you get used to them, but they will take and hold an exquisite edge - Rob
I had similar a while back using a Japanese saw for the first time.
I've heard that the steel is harder but this comes at the expense of a more brittle edge. That said, I was never sold on the whole "unbreakable" handles and smashing chisels with a hammer.
If I do ever take the plunge, what would be your advice on using them?

YoelD":2qooqqle said:
I've heard that the steel is harder but this comes at the expense of a more brittle edge. That said, I was never sold on the whole "unbreakable" handles and smashing chisels with a hammer.
The steel is incredibly hard (RC65) and traditionally hammer forged, but as you say, this makes the cutting edge steel very brittle, so the hard steel is forge welded to a softer iron backing which makes them more robust, but they are still a bit tricky to use..ie, they can't be used to lever waste away as the hard steel edge is liable to chip. The handle construction is pretty much unbreakable and a large geno hammer of some sort is the usual way to add a little extra 'something' to the cut. I'd advise trying one out (if possible) before committing to purchase because a decent quality set (say from Workshop Heaven) will make a severe dent the wallet - Rob

woodbloke66":1pw7yqvs said:
YoelD":1pw7yqvs said:
The steel is incredibly hard (RC65) and traditionally hammer forged, but as you say, this makes the cutting edge steel very brittle, so the hard steel is forge welded to a softer iron backing which makes them more robust, but they are still a bit tricky to use..ie, they can't be used to lever waste away as the hard steel edge is liable to chip. The handle construction is pretty much unbreakable and a large geno hammer of some sort is the usual way to add a little extra 'something' to the cut. I'd advise trying one out (if possible) before committing to purchase because a decent quality set (say from Workshop Heaven) will make a severe dent the wallet - Rob
Have to admit after reading that, I'm not exactly sold on them. But I'm definitely willing to try them out. I put off trying the saws because I never thought I'd get used to the pull action and straight handle.

I would agree with Robs comments on Japanese chisels.Buy 1 and try it.I think they are a bit like marmite. I bought one 20 odd years ago and although the cutting edge is superb, I didnt like the fairly rough feel of the general blade and the metal hoop handle is not for me.
Ian

YoelD":26uy9lgi said:
I put off trying the saws because I never thought I'd get used to the pull action and straight handle.
Again, another fairly steep 'learning curve' to negotiate. I've been using Japanese saws now for well over a decade and have recently upped my game to the hand made ones from Workshop Heaven which are sublime (if that's a way to describe how a saw cuts) but the standard Gyokucho saws with replaceable blades are an excellent place to start. It's getting into a 'mind set' that the things cut with the minimum of effort in the opposite direction to a Western saw. As before, well worth playing around with one (or even two) before you commit the hard earned folding - Rob

I also really like japanese saws, when starting out I worked out the ryobi having a rip and cross cut was far better value, and I'm still using it now 3 years later.

theres no doubt old brits offer quality and unbelievable value. i believe the steel and forging is the best ever made. ie ward and payne also made some addis. marples were an enormous supplier but almost certainly made there chisels. anybody whose used these for any time knows the feel of sheffield crucible steel on the sharpening stone.....its almost buttery and in a modern chisel it would say to soft but these are lovely hard enough but buttery to sharpen.

Back