snookered new door for discontinued kitchen range but where?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micks

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all about 10 years ago purchsed a new kitchen from the now defunt TEXAS diy store.

one cuttlery drawer front is damaged but the rest of kitchen is fine, problem is i have no "spare" drawer front to cut down to suite, i would willingly purchase a new draw unit or second hand but cannot locate one.

i have gone to local laminate company but they have not got anything that matches re shade/colour of what i have,

any suggestions very welcome

Hi Micks,
welcome to the forum

re your kitchen question, you could try asking some local kitchen fitters to keep their eye out for a drawer front (show them a sample)if they are doing a new fit, sometimes they pull out pefectly good kitchens, it happens due to new house moves and new owners not liking one colour scheme and such.
Alternatively you could go to a kitchen door replacement company they can normally get a very close match and will make them any size or style

hope that was of help

Ian

I made a replica of a drawer front for one that had become water damaged out of 3/4 MDF cut to size ,routed profile on the sides, then sealed it and painted it the closest matching colour i could find from the 'Mix your own' machine in Homebase... it's passable and the state of our kitchen you usually notice the dog hair/food/schoolbags/trainers long before you pick up the drawer front. Does it need to look like a frame and panel construction? getting matching cutters for the profiles may be tricky.

Jim

ian
blurk

i have been to a local company (watford laminates) they make kitchens and keep some old stock of formica offcuts but had nothing that was a good enough match.

my doorfront is flat and just has a formica type surface with a wooden groove like handle, its so annoying to be stuck for a 600mm X 100mm bit of formica.

since posting this thread i have found old product litriture on my kitchen units they were made by BERNSTEIN PLC who make kitchen units for b&q .

i will contact them i might be able to get info /offcuts or what the formica i have is called hopsack etc

thank you

It may be worth trawling round a few salvage yards - they may have much closer matches already on drawers or look in the local paper under classified sales to see if anyone is selling stuff that may be useful. A long shot I know but its quite an old style of pattern and therefore you are more likely to find it 'in use' rather than at the manufacturers or retailers.

May also be worth asking JohnElliot on this forum who replaces old doors and drawers on old style kitchens with bespoke ones. He may come across this type occasionally.

Cheers

Tim

tim":z6i450iy said:
May also be worth asking JohnElliot on this forum who replaces old doors and drawers on old style kitchens with bespoke ones. He may come across this type occasionally.

Two 't's in Elliott if you don't mind, Tim. :D

I think finding a matching drawer front is going to be quite difficult. I see lots of kitchens but rarely see the same type twice. There must be an awful lot of variety out there.
If Micks were to post a picture it would help. I presume that the 100mm he refered to is not including the wooden handle part, otherwise it would be a very unusual size
If nothing can be found then it might be worth changing all the doors and drawer fronts to a more modern painted Shaker style. I know somebody who could supply at very reasonable cost!

John

thanks all

john elliott only got bog standerd film camera and no scanner or fax machine and know no one with digital camera to upload a picture of drawer. i would have to replace approx 17 kitchen unit doors though for the sake of the one that knackered .

thank you for info as regards possible replacement

mick

Two 't's in Elliott if you don't mind, Tim.

You'll not believe this John but I even went to look at your member name to check on the number of 'L's because I used to work with someone who was very sensitive about this - I can't believe that I didn't even think about the number of 'T's or cut and paste or even look at it :oops: :roll: - what a muppet or is that mupett? Sory :wink:

Time to go to the pub I think!!

T

Back