snooker cue??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i am thinking of turning a snooker cue for myself,
now obviosly i cant do it in one so i will have to find some kind of srew type thing!

any tips on this?

Cheers

Tom

ps. i will be using ash most likely

Hi Tom,

I do love your descriptions, the "some kind of screw type thing" you're looking for I think is availlable at Craft Supplies in Millers Dale, Derbyshire, although I can't find them in the current catalogue, I'm sure I've seen them in the shop.

Craft Supplies also sell the coloured veneer type thingys for splicing into the cue butt, they're pricey but will add that touch of class to your cue.

If you have problems contact Chesworth Cues

CC

Hi Thomas,

Good luck, I have looked into it and it appears all the "top cues" are planed by hand rather than turned.

www.cues.cwc.net (in the workshop section seems to show this )

As for a joint there are special quick release joints probably for a pool cue.

http://arnotq.com/pages/25/25.html

however i don't be able to see a supplier in the uk. The usual suspects do the walking stick kits which include 1 or 2 brass joints which could probably be made to fit.

The other problem that i spose that you will encounter is the "whip" when turning as you will need to get the tip down to about 9mm, so some sort of steady will probably be required.

Weighting will also be an issue as most have some sort of counter weight fitted in the butt.

The other thing that would probably be useful would be to get the ash from a reclamation yard or somewhere where the timber has probably done all the moving its gona do. The last thing you want is for ya masterpiece to turn into a "banana"

I thought that probably the best option was to buy one, which is what i did.

Let me know how you get on,

Aidan.

thanks for the tips!
'tis looking a little more difficile than i thought!! but never mind ill give it a go at some point!

Cutting Crew-thanks :oops: i like to shorten sentences down and it is much easier to type! :p :p

Tom

Hi Tom,

Let us know how you get on, as Aidan says, the top cues are finished by hand planing but these are in the £500 plus bracket. The majority of the cues on sale for club players are machine made on special lathes and sanding machines.

Look at the the area where the butt joins the shaft, if the points of the butt are really sharp points the cues was machine spliced, if the points are rounded, they are hand spliced.

I spent a day at a workshop in Birmingham where some very good cues are made and it well worth the visit.

CC

Latest posts

Back