Sneaked on to forum whilst wifie is asleep!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
On holiday here in New Zealand but couldn't resist any longer - so wifie has gone to bed and I'm on the laptop. Sad or what?

Been away since 9th and couldn't get internet access in Sydney so I'll never get through all the unread posts, and we're away for another 3 weeks :roll: - How will I survive? What a life - but someone has to do it :)

On a woodworking note, we visited a winery today (several in fact :-" \:D/ ) and this one had a 4ft x 2ft relief carving in incredible detail. Some kind on mahogany I think. They also had a gallery which included a lot of turned items, jewellery boxes and general quality hardwood items. The majority were under $100 (£50) with plain pens at $5 each unboxed. It seems there are a number of woodworkers in this region (Napier, west of lake Taupo on the nort island). No pics 'cos I didn't have a camera with me - too unsteady anyway :wink: :eek:ccasion5:

Strangest thing I found in Sydney was the dept stores with Christmas trees next to the displays of bikinis :lol: :lol:

Sounds as though you're having a great time Bob, not that I'm jealous :---)
Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday as much and don't forget to carry the camera with you :D

Sounding good Lons.
I spent six months in NZ three years ago, just travelling after a job fell through 8). Are you going across the strait to the south island? I found it a much more relaxed with an easy going pace to life than the north.
There are lots of small holdings where you can spend a day making things, a made a knife, did some turning (which I hsdn't done since school) and even did some chainsaw carving!
Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and take loads of pics because people don't believe how beautiful and unspoilt the country is.

All the best
Kieran

It's when you're on your travels, you log on to your emails and get one from the National Lottery ..."We have good news for you" .....you know in your heart of hearts that it's only a tenner yet still there is that little ray of hope...that nugget of gold...that glowing ember....Is it? Have I? Do I tell the wife? Shall I go and check? Sweaty palms...shaking hands..you log into your account and see...

"Congratulations...you have won £10".

Hi Alan.

Not doing the south this time as we were there for a very short while 2 years ago. We leave Napier early tomorrow for a full day 400 km drive north through Gisborne to Whakatane and then onwards to Paihia in the bay of islands before dropping back to Auckland for a few days. Then back to OZ (Noosa, north of Brisbane) for a week in the sun before a couple of nights in Singapore on the way home to the frozen north. (Really looking forward to that :roll: )

We absolutely love Napier and its quirky art deco buildings and have found an area outside the town where I could definately live. I've been told you can spend 6 months of the year here without special visas and the house prices are pretty good so will seriously look at downsizing and purchase possibilities. Our winters in NZ looks very appealing!

Roger

no chance of the lottery - haven't put it on #-o Might have to now from this end after what you've said.

I've only ever won a tenner - ONCE

Bob

Bob,
We plan to go to NZ next November so I'll be very interested to hear of any 'must see' destinations once you have returned and got your breath back!

TIA

Bob

Enjoy your holiday, but post some small pieces of timber back so you can make something later on your return, then when ever you see the item your thoughts will automatically come back of the good times.

Your very lucky to get to oz!! My riend lives out there and he still travels round it!! {How are you all getting these extra funny faces??!!}

9fingers":1o465n0a said:
Bob,
We plan to go to NZ next November so I'll be very interested to hear of any 'must see' destinations once you have returned and got your breath back!

TIA

Bob

Just got back to OZ from NZ last night. We're staying in Noosa around 150 km north of Brisbane. Temperature is high 20s and sunny every day and I haven't worn anything thicker than a polo shirt for 3 weeks. Don't know if I can bear to go home on 10th :(

Fuel in NZ was - petrol @ 97p and diesel @ 80p whilst here in OZ petrol is around 96p with diesel @ £1. No wonder there are so many V6 cars around.

We drove 2300 km around the north island Bob and there are some great places to visit. I can also recommend a couple of superb private motels at decent prices but great facilities.
Once I'm back, I can sort out some info and photos if you want them - just ask.

Bob

Lons":3stuha15 said:
9fingers":3stuha15 said:
Bob,

TIA

Bob

We drove 2300 km around the north island Bob and there are some great places to visit. I can also recommend a couple of superb private motels at decent prices but great facilities.
Once I'm back, I can sort out some info and photos if you want them - just ask.

Bob

That would be good - thank you - as and when convenient.

It is still relatively mild here- Only just put the heating on in the house and nothing in the workshop yet.

Bob

Latest posts

Back