Snapped worktop laminate - ouch - so be careful.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak99

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. While looking for a piece of wood veneer on the racks in the yard I am working at I managed to slice between my thumb and forefinger - Ouch! It was a piece of man made worktop laminate that was snapped and just put back on the rack, the edge was like like a razor.

Maybe I should have had gloves on and been more careful but surely it would be safer to only put cut edges back on the rack, what is correct practise?

you should be using gloves at all times when handling materials, particularly in a commercial environment (the obvious exception is where it is dangerous to do so, eg when operating a lathe etc). There really should be a risk assessment done for every task ever undertaken, and steps taken to minimise the risk and ppe requirements identified. You are partially doing this by highlighting the danger and taking steps to prevent it recurring, ie only storing cut surfaces. I dont doubt that somebody will pipe up about health and safety, and I am sure that we dont all wear gloves when handling timber at home, but this example shows what happens when a seemingly simple task like moving a worktop is done without protection.

Back