Snapped Tuff Saw Blade - :-(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nev":2vadetc4 said:
Blades break, even Tuffsaws :shock: but he'll re-weld or replace it if it breaks at the weld.

Coincidentally I had two arrive yesterday and out of curiosity just went out to see how tight a turn I could manage with one of them .
This was a (73") 6mm (1/4") 10tpi Supertuff carbon, setup as per the Alex Snodgrass link someone posted a day or two ago on my small Woodster2 saw, with guides made from assorted bits of wood and plastic chopping board and partially seized thrust bearings, very far from a quality tool. :)

Admittedly this is an unknown pallet wood, probably a pine of some sort but I had no issues whatsoever cutting pretty quickly through this 3 inch block.

As you can see a 20mm diameter semi circle was simple enough as was the larger 'box' cutout with a few tighter radii and with a very good finish to boot.

So possibly there may be some improvement you could make to the setup on your saw??

I shan't try and second guess Mr. Maskery's tuition tips as I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about bandsaws.

Nev,
Can I ask what kerf this blade leaves if you just cut straight into wood.
I have exactly the same blade and I can only cut curves down to about 50mm diameter. I am getting a 0.9 to 1.0mm kerf in the wood as I cut.
I'm wondering if I have accidentally knocked the set off my blade while fiddling with the rubbish disc guides I have.

Thanks

Neil

Neil S":lcid593l said:
nev":lcid593l said:
Blades break, even Tuffsaws :shock: but he'll re-weld or replace it if it breaks at the weld.

Coincidentally I had two arrive yesterday and out of curiosity just went out to see how tight a turn I could manage with one of them .
This was a (73") 6mm (1/4") 10tpi Supertuff carbon, setup as per the Alex Snodgrass link someone posted a day or two ago on my small Woodster2 saw, with guides made from assorted bits of wood and plastic chopping board and partially seized thrust bearings, very far from a quality tool. :)

Admittedly this is an unknown pallet wood, probably a pine of some sort but I had no issues whatsoever cutting pretty quickly through this 3 inch block.

As you can see a 20mm diameter semi circle was simple enough as was the larger 'box' cutout with a few tighter radii and with a very good finish to boot.

So possibly there may be some improvement you could make to the setup on your saw??

I shan't try and second guess Mr. Maskery's tuition tips as I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about bandsaws.

Nev,
Can I ask what kerf this blade leaves if you just cut straight into wood.
I have exactly the same blade and I can only cut curves down to about 50mm diameter. I am getting a 0.9 to 1.0mm kerf in the wood as I cut.
I'm wondering if I have accidentally knocked the set off my blade while fiddling with the rubbish disc guides I have.

Thanks

Neil

I'm In and out today, but I'll have a bash this afternoon and let you know.

Here you go Neil S

Kerf/ slot is just under 1/8" and this time in 2" oak got a radius of approximately 1/2". Still a quick cut, only meeting any resistance if I just turn the wood and fail to keep the wood moving into the blade, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 50
That's very impressive Nev ! Just goes to show what a well setup bandsaw can achieve.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2yvqu1to said:
That's very impressive Nev ! Just goes to show what a well setup bandsaw can achieve.
Coley

And I am far from a finicky fiddler adjusting this and that etc. This was watch AS seminar video on youtube and go out to garage and do as just told. No second adjustments or fine tuning just luck I think.

I did a bit of scrollsawing the other day, and started to tense up when I saw a less of a curve than yours coming up.

a74d2a86a3c7a9a9dbd22488e56144d0.jpg

I was gonna do one for the neighbours dog, but thought the saw kerf on the ear was a bit narrow- after seeing your cut, I might dust off the bandsaw at the weekend, to see how small a radius I can cut with that.
Thanks for the inspiration !
Coley

nev":165mbwgd said:
Here you go Neil S

Kerf/ slot is just under 1/8" and this time in 2" oak got a radius of approximately 1/2". Still a quick cut, only meeting any resistance if I just turn the wood and fail to keep the wood moving into the blade, if that makes sense.

That's great thank you Nev. The kerf on my cut is less than that, I think I've knocked the set off my blade. I've only had it a couple of weeks as well. :(

Guess I got to go shopping again...

Thanks again.

-Neil

I think you need a decent machine really!

Contacted Axminster and they won't impressed with what I told them. They said max thickness for the 10TPI blade is 50mm, and me cutting 65mm of hardwood has probably blunted it. Together with a weaker machine (rated 350W) I've probably buggered everything up by overworking the blade. No mention of exchange/refund. I replied saying that I should probably have asked for their advice first, and asked them whether I might get a more appropriate blade (they suggested 6TPI) under warranty... I'm waiting for a reply.

Unlike Ian at Tuff Saws. Emailed him about the snapped blade on Tue night. He's sent me a new 3/8" 10TPI Carbon blade, no quibble, arrived today. In the email I also told him I wanted to buy another blade for straight cut for bandsaw boxes, and he emailed me back last night telling me that he's also sent me a 3/8" 10TPI Premium blade in the same shipment. He said me 10TPI is not listed under the Premium section as they are running low on stock. Remember I said I wanted to BUY, he has yet to send me an invoice. I emailed him this am asking for one, still awaiting reply.

You just can't beat amazing customer service, even if the blades are the same (if not better!).

Adrian

Axminster has got back to me today and said they are sending me a replacement blade in 6TPI.

I will have a 10, 6 and 4 TPI in my arsenal then. I shall post some results on the cut quality between them (albeit 4 TPI is a 3/8", 6 TPI will be a 1/4" both from Axminster, and 10 TPIs are 3/8" and 3/16" are Tuff Saws Premium and Carbon respectively). Great results with Tuff Saws so far.

Adrian

ColeyS1":2dvlf4de said:
... but thought the saw kerf on the ear was a bit narrow

Stick a spiral blade in the saw and follow the same cut, they widen the kerf quite a bit (and they can't wander off like they usually do because you're following an existing cut).

NazNomad":y3lds7so said:
ColeyS1":y3lds7so said:
... but thought the saw kerf on the ear was a bit narrow

Stick a spiral blade in the saw and follow the same cut, they widen the kerf quite a bit (and they can't wander off like they usually do because you're following an existing cut).
That's a nifty trick. Thanks Naz

Latest posts

Back