smug mode -off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of hours ago i was feeling pretty good about the way my new router table top was coming along. I was particularly chuffed with the cutout for the router plate till i tried to removed the mdf i used for the template :(
disaster.jpg

I guess carpet tape is stronger than contact adhesive :? , the damage is at the rear of the cutout so i guess the top is still functional and i can use it for the short term till i have the heart for a second attempt ho hum...

What a bummer :x

Now what brand of carpet tape were you using? The last roll I bought was pants, come to think of it, it would have done your job just nice. ](*,)

Have you thought the tape might have been of a poor quality and that would mean your mdf faced board might be even worse :roll:

Honestly, only trying to help.

Rotten luck!

Carpet tape can be very strong indeed. You can use white spirit to dissolve or soften the adhesive before pulling whatever you have stuck, loose.

Ouch. :shock: Looks like you should have used the carpet tape to stick down the laminate... From experience not quite as bitter as yours, I've found carpet tape's better used in small strips rather than one large one like that. A couple of small pieces as long as the tape width and 1/2" wide or so is often quite sufficient for most jobs. Economical too. :D

Cheers, Alf

You certainly could have done without that :(.

I don't know if it would have been strong enough for your purposes, but it's possible to use re-positionable artists spray mount as a temporary fixing.

Gill

Well that just sucks. BUT I can tell you what we do in "merica. Cleanup and reglue your laminate as best you can. Where there are cracks and "things" mix up some "Bondo" (body filler) and when it is dry sand it flat with some fine paper. 220 Spray some "filler" primer and spray it white. Not the best but it can get you by. Its a hillbilly thing :D
If the reglue is pretty flat you can actually fil the cracks and when the filler is just almost hard take a block plane and smooth it right down flush with the paminate. Fixed a lot of commercial junk like that.

Hi Tombo,

Isn't it always the way!!!
I reckon you've got a couple of options here.
You can either lift the rest of the laminate away and use a solvent to remove the adhesive and then re laminate, (filling any areas where the substrate veneer may have been torn away), or you can re-glue the broken piece as Slim Shavings suggests, but I would then put a new laminate over the top.
Unless you can get a really flat finish it may leave a ridge, so not good for a router table, but as it will need abrading to give it a key for the adhesive, I would sand it back with a random orbit which will provide a key and also get any slight discrepancies where the repair may be back into check.
Also, I'd be inclined to use a couple of tiny dabs of hot melt glue rather than double sided tape when fixing your guide battens as the bond can be broken relatively easily.
Hope this is of some help.

cheers,
Andy

cheers guys and gals for your encouragement, I think i might try and cut the damage out in a square shape and patch with a piece of spare laminate. At least i'll be able to complete the next few projects. But in the long run ive just got to scrap it and start again it will bug me too much when i use it otherwise

tom

Back