Smoothing plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Smoothing plane, beech body, bubinga wedge, wengè strike button.
The double iron is bedded at 50°. I added an end grained insert to sole for more resistance to wear and in order to keeping a tight mouth.

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Ciao,
Giuliano :D

Nice, very!

You used a German blade? they use 48mm often, so that's why I immediately thought German.
In a wedged wooden plane a tapered blade wedges better, but I wonder, with a double iron, you create a lot of taper in the blade assembly allready so maybe it doesn't matter at all. The big plus of a parallel blade of course is the mouth doesn't open after a lot of sharpenings.

Corneel":12xj09he said:
Nice, very!

You used a German blade? they use 48mm often, so that's why I immediately thought German.
In a wedged wooden plane a tapered blade wedges better, but I wonder, with a double iron, you create a lot of taper in the blade assembly allready so maybe it doesn't matter at all. The big plus of a parallel blade of course is the mouth doesn't open after a lot of sharpenings.

Thank you Corneel,
The blade is by Italian mark "Stella Bianca". I acquired some of these old blades during the last years and I found them pretty good.

IMG_0799.jpg

I never did a consideration about the taper effect of a chipbreaker but I think you are right.

Ciao,

Speaking as one who has started a simpler plane and so far failed to finish it or make anything fit, I can appreciate the amount and quantity of work that must have gone into that. Congratulations!

AndyT":2gmas1ai said:
Speaking as one who has started a simpler plane and so far failed to finish it or make anything fit, I can appreciate the amount and quantity of work that must have gone into that. Congratulations!

Thank you Andy!
When I built my first plane I thought it had to be the last. Too much time and mistakes. Now I know better how to do the job, so I can work more quickly.

Ciao

and a jack plane followed....

htxt1f.jpg

13zrb4j.jpg

30dl7cm.jpg

2vxjceb.jpg

Woods are beech for body, cherry for wedge and handle.
The patch is end grained. It helped me to keep the mouth to correct width and to resist to wear.
Mostly, I am improving my planemaking techniques :D

Absolutely beautiful planes! Can I just ask (though this may be a stupid question :) ) Why is using end grain for the mouth insert more resistant to wear and easier to adjust? the couple of planes I've built which were Krenov laminated types I just used the insert with the grain.

speeder1987":3wnk4iou said:
Absolutely beautiful planes! Can I just ask (though this may be a stupid question :) ) Why is using end grain for the mouth insert more resistant to wear and easier to adjust? the couple of planes I've built which were Krenov laminated types I just used the insert with the grain.

Hi Speeder,
I am choosing end grained pieces for more resistance to wear, but inserts with the grain are a common standard.
Another advantage of insert is for keeping the mouth to the correct width :mrgreen:
Regards and thanks for your opinions

Thanks for the quick reply, I don't know why I'd never thought of end grain being more resistant to wear. I'm going to have to try this for the next plane that I make :) when that will be I have no idea!!!

John

Back