smoothing end grain on slab of oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken andrews

Established Member
Reaction score
just used a router and sled to flatten end grain slab of oak, what's the best way to remove router cutter marks have tried 40g on orbital sander but not making much progress.

Block plane is a good call. If it's a big slab a low angle plane will suffice too. A no 5 size sole size will be good. Also, if planning does not work for you, use a decent belt sander and work through the grits to 240 then finish off by hand if finer is needed. As already been said you need a very sharp blade if planning even if you have to re-hone several times.

Genuine question - Are you keeping it as a slab? if not would it not be easier doing the parts one it was cut up?

I'd just use a sharp plane - size according to size of workpiece.
Best held in a vice so you are planing horizontally - or just canted in the vice if it's too long.
I don't think a "block" plane has anything to do with planing butchers blocks.
They are designed to be one handed - hence the bevel up blade, low profile, rounded handle for the palm, and finger rest . Really useful for little trimming jobs, particularly if you are holding the work with your other hand, e.g a window frame - trimming ends of tenons which is end-grain. But not designed, nor particularly better, for end grain specifically.

Last edited:
Exactly what Jacob said, number four smoothing plane set fine, bit of candle rubbed on the sole. I find it a very satisfying thing to do, I’ve actually heard people say you if you can’t plane and grain, lol, that just tells me they haven’t the faintest idea what they’re talking about. Ian

Exactly what Jacob said, number four smoothing plane set fine, bit of candle rubbed on the sole. I find it a very satisfying thing to do, I’ve actually heard people say you if you can’t plane and grain, lol, that just tells me they haven’t the faintest idea what they’re talking about. Ian
[/QUOTE
Thankyou for your advice and everyone else for there suggestions, will sharpen the old plane up and give it a go, attempting to make a console table from this semicircle slab of oak

Back