Smoother paint and varnsh advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
At present when i make anything out of wood for my kids i either finish it with a coat of paint, stain or varnish. Thing is, it never seems to be as smooth and professional as i would like it. Any advice? Also does anyone know how i can achieve a deeper shine and colouring on the wood no matter what colour varnish i use? I love the grain coming through so prefer using varnish and stains, but would like the colour to really stand out!

Thankyou,

Calv.

Calv,

Preparation is the key to any finish. Make sure the item is thoroughly sanded working progressively through the grits up to about 240 the make sure you remove any dust with a tack rag. Use a decent brush or a foam brush. Make sure you follow the manufacturers recommendations i.e. stirring the product. Sand in between to de-nib. Work in as clean and dust free an environment as you can.
If you apply a coat of oil to the item, let that dry and then de-nib and varnish you should get a much greater depth to your finish.

If i can help you further, or you don't understand anything, please submit again.

Res.

Calv":1g1u64wm said:
Thing is, it never seems to be as smooth and professional as i would like it. Any advice?

Do you dip the brush back into the original can each time you need to reload the brush? If so, you are just transferring any dust (in the air) or that has settled on your item into the main can. You should pour out into a clean container a small quantity for each job, and once finished, do not replace any left over back into the main can - thereby ensuring the varnish/finish in the main can is always uncontaminated.

How about your brushes - do you leave them in your workshop? They pick up dust - I vacuum the bristles before I start. Do you fully de-dust your items? E.g. use a blower/vacuum to remove dust? I also bring my items indoors to paint them - or wait 24hrs in the workshop for the dust to settle, and don't disturb or switch any machines on, before or after applying your finish.

What about brush quality - are you using good ones - or screwfix specials?

Do you follow the manufacturers instructions? About how frequently you can add a new coat, temperature for application etc?

Just a few thoughts at least. I'm sure others know more on here than I do.

Adam

Crikey, Adam, d'you really do all that?! :shock: I feel extremely inadequate. De-nibbing between coats always seems to do the biz for me, but maybe I've been lucky? Or not picky enough more like... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

No no, I'm with you Alf.
I prepare quite well, but only worry about the quality of the finish on the last couple of coats. I find that 1200 grit wet n dry takes care of any dust that may have settled on the piece during previous coats.

Alf":3663sle4 said:
Crikey, Adam, d'you really do all that?!

No, but they were all suggestions to get a "preofessional" finish. I do some of them at different times. I nearly always vacuum the brush however - as I tend to leave them next to where I'm sanding :oops:

The thing about not transferring "dust" into the main can was the key point in some article recently about how to get the perfect glossy finishes on boats. Can't remember who wrote it.

Me? I oil everything!

Adam

Back