Smoking wood ;-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
No I don't mean putting it in your pipe ;-)

I try and use recycled wood wherever I can, scroll saw work & band saw boxes mostly

I had some pallet bearers, and the last one had a split right up the middle of one side

So I thought I would try superglue first but its a bit watery so doesn't fill the gap (which was a lot wider in other parts of the same wood)

After using the superglue I reached to get some epoxy glue and noticed smoke coming from the crack

What would make it smoke?

I then mixed up some epoxy and filled the crack, after setting it sanded down fine and it was usable

I made some small beach hut boxes with it

Attachments

• Clip467.jpg
    Clip467.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 120
  • Clip469.jpg
    Clip469.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Clip470.jpg
    Clip470.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 119
a large surface area causes it to go off quickly, generating heat. it reacts with moisture in the air/timber. the quicker the reaction, the more heat generated.

What Marcros says, you get the same effect with CA glue if you use accellerator to speed up setting.

A word of warning, don't breathe in the fumes ( it's not smoke ), it isn't good for your health, will make your eyes sting and exposure over time can have some pretty nasty results. As a pen turner I've largely moved away from using CA as a finish for those very real risks.

Well I split this pallet up a good two years ago and its been inside the whole time so would have thought it would be as dry as it could get but who knows

It wasn't exactly a raging forest fire ;-)

But definitely a wisp of smoke

I wondered if some wee beasty was hiding in the crack and met its end ;-)

Thanks for that, no I wasn't thinking of sniffing the wisp of smoke :)

Smoke was just the most apt description to use I could think of

I don't use superglue very much but can't recall having this reaction before

Point noted on its dangers

Lons":1e1rabzp said:
What Marcros says, you get the same effect with CA glue if you use accellerator to speed up setting.

A word of warning, don't breathe in the fumes ( it's not smoke ), it isn't good for your health, will make your eyes sting and exposure over time can have some pretty nasty results. As a pen turner I've largely moved away from using CA as a finish for those very real risks.

I was mildly burned by boiling super glue the other day, was sticking back a piece which had snapped off something which had a largish surface area. Super glue on one side, activator on the other and held in place with my hands, all I heard was a "PSSSST" as it cured and boiling hot super glue bubbles started pouring out of the edges of the join with a couple spattering onto my fingers.

Never had that reaction before.

I have always been a little wary of using superglues anyway but this has made me even more so

Its not a reaction I would expect but I guess we must expect the unexpected

Many years ago in the early days of superglues, in a garage where I once worked, one "wag" thought it would be amusing to coat the door handles in the works toilets and toilet flush lever in superglue, what an imbecile, these days it would be a sacking offence

Latest posts

Back