Smoking Startrite table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're saying there isn't excessive noise & excessive play in the blade spindle bearings, then there really isn't the need to change them if it runs smoothly enough.

If you feel you really want to change them whilst you've got the saw apart anyway, go ahead.
Ideally, you do really want to use a puller but it can be done without,......very carefully! You certainly dont want to be wading on it with a hammer......😖😖😖
Sometimes, the spindle and bearings come out easily with little amount of pressure but I have had some that fight you and can be a b u g g e r to get off....

If you're saying there isn't excessive noise & excessive play in the blade spindle bearings, then there really isn't the need to change them if it runs smoothly enough.

If you feel you really want to change them whilst you've got the saw apart anyway, go ahead.
Ideally, you do really want to use a puller but it can be done without,......very carefully! You certainly dont want to be wading on it with a hammer......😖😖😖
Sometimes, the spindle and bearings come out easily with little amount of pressure but I have had some that fight you and can be a b u g g e r to get off....
That doesn't sound pretty. Ok, I 'll look around for a puller second hand for cheap and hold off on changing them until that time. It's usually when we try and do a job without the correct tool that stuff gets broken. I'm just looking to make the saw run as well as it can so it lasts me.

Now you've got your belts on, cleaned it up and no smoking, put it back together and give it a try.

The following test is what I always do when I've got one of these saws back together....
Once it's all set up on a nice level surface with a new correct quality blade in it, you should be able to start it up and stand a 50p piece on edge on the table top and it shouldn't fall over....If it does, then you may have a problem with the bearings.....

Now you've got your belts on, cleaned it up and no smoking, put it back together and give it a try.

The following test is what I always do when I've got one of these saws back together....
Once it's all set up on a nice level surface with a new correct quality blade in it, you should be able to start it up and stand a 50p piece on edge on the table top and it shouldn't fall over....If it does, then you may have a problem with the bearings.....
Sounds like the V12 engine test, will give it a go once I've finished. Thanks for the advice

Back