Smith & Sweetman

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blizzard - he made wooden toys and had a series or two. He also published a few books. From what I can remember his stuff had a certain roughness (like a better quality 'Boyz' production.

Misterfish

Vormulac":27xvvudt said:
Incidentally, I see that since Virgin rebranded TeleWest/NTL there is now a '+1' channel for Real Time, now they just need to put some ruddy woodworking programmes back on it...

Yes - on Sky there is Real Time, +1 and Extra - but they still keep showing the same old episodes of programs over and over again.

MisterFish

misterfish":3vnxhf4q said:
Blizzard - he made wooden toys and had a series or two. He also published a few books. From what I can remember his stuff had a certain roughness (like a better quality 'Boyz' production.

Misterfish

I have a couple of books of Blizzars toys and "rough" is not one of the words I would use to describe them. My avatar shows his fork lift truck (bigger picture on my photo site) and they are much more complicated to build than furniture. certainly not "rough".

Agree with Shultzy here. I had all of off Blizzard's books at one time and 'rough' is not a word I would use to describe his work.....impressive springs immediately to mind - Rob

I have had to stay at home yesterday and today and so have seen two episodes of S&S. I have to say that I am impressed with the range of tools and techniques they show. Today, they cut some housing DTs and showed two ways of cutting the slot with router and chisel and with a jig for the router. For the tails, they cut one by hand only and one with a router.

Also, someone mentioned that they are a Trend advertisement? Don't agree really as they use a range of tools typical of any workshop - their handplanes are old and tatty, as are chisels etc., the machines are newer, but the router for rounding over a piece was a very old ELU with tape wrapped around the top to hold something in place. They have a typical range as far as I can see - I have more trend routers than they do :lol: :oops:

Blizzard. I'm not talking about his books, (which are no doubt good) but about a series many years ago on BBC. Maybe due to time constraints or costs it seemed that things were rushed and poorly finished. I remember that my kids were youngish at the time (and are now in their late twenties) and thinking that if they played with the toys he made that we'd be forever pulling splinters out of their fingers etc!

Blimey - I've just checked and it seems they were made in 1983, so the kids would have been 6 and 4 - doesn't time rush by!

MisterFish

I think that Blizzard series was made with the vet (or ex-vet) that has made loads of "A Plane/Car/Chopper is Born) series shown on Sky over the years ....

Kane":29159lxa said:
I think that Blizzard series was made with the vet (or ex-vet) that has made loads of "A Plane/Car/Chopper is Born) series shown on Sky over the years ....

Yes - that rings a bell now you mention it - it's just that after more than 20 years the details (or should I say brain) start to fade.

Also, I was pleased to see that S & S used the jointer to get decent flat surfaces to glue for the garden table central pillar on this mornings show.

MisterFish

Maybe they plugged into this forum and took some of the criticism on board. Have to admit though that the last few progs have been to a better standard and even Den is now telling James off for the amount of glue he squeezes everywhere.

Onwards and upwards lads.

Mike

Kane":zcw4tsja said:

It was called "Wood Wizard" and was truly atrocious.

thought it was ok prog. if it can motivate people to have a go, got to be good thing.
didnt like some of the thinks they have done. but hay norm aint perfect, :D

I enjoy the woodwork content of Restoration Man

but I could be on my own on this one

Andy

andys wood shed":3qe2rjzn said:
I enjoy the woodwork content of Restoration Man

but I could be on my own on this one

Andy

Please dont get me started on that one :roll:

It may have looked good but some of the things he did and used :shock: .

I would not have used or simply not have done the way he did it ( I am not saying there is just one way to do some jobs but there is a right and wrong way :twisted: ) .

Like when he changed some of the chair rails when it was just one that was broken or how he repaired the leg on the same chair.

A friend I use work with used to laugh at some of the things he did and so did I.
Please dont get me wrong as I think Alan Herd is a good joiner but he is no restorer [-(

Andy

If you start swearing again, I will to come a round and slap your legs :roll: :wink:

He could not have got a job in any firm I have worked for :roll:

Latest posts

Back