Smith & Sweetman

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curlywol wrote:
program dedicated to making things out of wood is welcome
Off topic a little, whatever happened to Handy Andy from Changing Rooms.....now there's a bloke who knew how to run stuff up :roll: :whistle: :sick: - Rob

Ah yes Handy Andy!
He was a wizard with the old mdf.
You name it - he could botch it in one fell swoop of his dewalt saw :lol:
They don't make programs like that anymore!!! :shock:

John

Isn't handy Andy on UKTV, Bright Ideas,"Our House".I'm sure it was him who made a picture frame yesterday,with mitres you could drive a bus through.

You have to also remember that Handy Andy was first class at making units from mdf, outside :roll:

That you could not get inside :twisted:

I'm off sick at the moment, so I've just watched Rico Daniels making a 'kitchen' from old doors (could be interesting but looks a mess) and now its 'From Junk to Funk' with 'Master Craftsman' Gavin Lowe. He's making a mobile kitchen unit...

The only good tip from either of them that I have seen so far is having a blackboard on the workshop wall.

Gavin has cut dozens of bits of 2x2 into cubes, and he's now sticking them onto an MDF base with PVA. But at least he makes up a cutting list and measures his timber!

that junk to funk programme is THE WORST. I want to strangle the guy!

:-#

He roughcut a load of 2x2 to within 1/4" or so, stuck them down and then used a belt sander to 'smooth' them. He then used PVA and sawdust to fill the many large gaps and voids, saying that as this was to be a food preparation surface a smooth finish was necessary...
I think he was planning to use yacht varnish on it.

I shudder to think how clean that surface would be on Day 2.

Made Rico Daniels look like David Charlesworth.

This - cheap and cheerful - let's turn a shed door into a sideboard - mentality is at the heart of UK DIY programs :x
Ok,his Normness has had the occasional log from the bottom of a salt lake flat, but at least he manages to produce something worthwhile :)

John

slightly off topic i know but,
why is it that most of Norm's projects look fine 'till he gets them into his finishing room? :? :lol:

John

curlywol":2g5xd82p said:
why is it that most of Norm's projects look fine 'till he gets them into his finishing room? :? :lol:

John

I couldn't agree more! All his finishes are far too dark for my liking and seem to make all woods look the same. It's a shame really because I like the things he makes.

Mike

I don't know, but he often refers to being unhappy with/experimenting with finishes. He also favours a very dark, almost French, look, which can be a bit jarring.
Apparently the only 'helper' he has is with the finishing, though I suppose that means final sanding.

Edit - just seen that you made the point about dark finishes as well, Sawdust. And hey! Now I'm a woodworker! Easiest exam I ever took...

Tony":2j88dkob said:
There are very few woody programs around and S&S made qite a decent job of it ..............

.............Smith and Sweetman make some decent furniture in those programs despite their inflated wood prices and the odd iffy joint.

I agree Tony, I have not watched all their programmes but I think they do a reasonable job and I for one, learn from them. (As well as from his Normness!)

John

Sawdust":1taszi1t said:
curlywol":1taszi1t said:

John

I couldn't agree more! All his finishes are far too dark for my liking and seem to make all woods look the same. It's a shame really because I like the things he makes.

Mike

Surely that's part of the reason for making your own in the first place - you get what YOU like - or in my case you get a big pile of sawdust and some firewood :)

Kane":17pauwcl said:
Sawdust":17pauwcl said:
curlywol":17pauwcl said:

John

Mike

Surely that's part of the reason for making your own in the first place - you get what YOU like - or in my case you get a big pile of sawdust and some firewood :)

I totally agree, I like his program because it's well made, he presents it well and his workshop is a dream but I never copy anything he makes or work from plans. The fun of making things yourself is making them your way.

Mike

I have definately seen some episodes of norm where he has cocked up. One my wife noticed was when he had placed something (can't recall quite what, hinge or a recess for one or something like that) on the wrong side of the piece. When she told me I didn't believe her but with the sky+ she proceeded to prove it to me with a very smug expression. :x

So he definately puffins up, it's just very well editied (most of the time).

I know what you mean about the glue with smith and sweetman, are they sponsored by one of the glue manufacturers ? Another one for that is Craig whateverhisnameis from big brother who does boys in the wood. It's half a gallon of glue per project with him too.

Although I'm normally the first to knock them they did seem to make a good job of the double bed in today's episode. The thing looked well made, sturdy and well finished, despite 2 pints too much glue and a couple of M&T's where the shoulder was overcut and didn't mate up properly. Perhaps they improve with age. Still paid too much for their timber though and even then admitted to wrongly ordering it.
Let's just hope things continue to get better.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Mike

I must admit that I'm a bit of a woodworking program 'junkie' and that Norm takes some beating. It was my seeing NYW many years ago that rekindled my interest in woodworking, an interest completely snuffed out by being 'taught' woodworking at school in the 60's.

I find many of Norm's projects too fancy for my (and SWMBO's) liking, but having seen other American house buying and decorating shows it seems that the tastes on the other side of the pond are more conservative.

When we watch Norm we always comment on the use of 'Donkey Brown' stain often hiding the beauty of the wood. Mind you, having seen most of the 2006 series and all of the current 2007 series to date it seems that there is a good variety. We also like the fact that Norm will visit other experts to learn the basics and then use them in his projects.

As for Norm never making mistakes - he sometimes says that things have needed to be changed since the prototype, and I remember when he made the wine storage unit that one piece broke while being bent and that he had had lots of problems making the prototype.

Now as for the other shows.

The Great British Woodshop is a close second to Norm - even to the tools. I quite like his presentation and quiet manner.

Cutting Edge Woodworker - I find this a bit annoying and don't like a lot of the designs. He seems to have Alan Herd on hand to help out but never gives him any credit.

John Revell. I find the presentation of the programs extremely annoying, especially the jingles. Also I'm not too impressed with his stuff. I seem to remeber him showing the design for his wine rack - basically a cupboard with two opening doors containing a commercial wine rack. On the plan he showed the doors with a rebate along the edge of each so that one door held the other shut (I'm sure ther's a proper name for this). Watching him build it I could see that he had forgotten the overlap necessary and ended up with two doors that met in the middle.

From Junk to Funk - SWMBO and I have always referred to this as 'From scrap to cr*p' - need I say more - the fact that there is a stupid time limit demeans the program even more.

Salvager - At least Rico doesn't pretend this is high end - interesting to watch but not what I want in my house.

Boyz in the Wood - I can't really add any more to what has already been said - the only thing to remember is that Craig is a builder rather than a carpenter!

Blizzard - A lot of people raved about his programs, but I was never impressed with his work, only a bit better than the Boyz.

Finally S & S. Yes, why don't they joint their boards, there's a P/T in the workshop. They could get their timber nice and flat and square edged. I really liked the banana shape of the dresser worktop, but when clamped into place it seemed to go flat - I just wonder if it will split. It is reassuring to see that they make mistakes and usually manage to recover from them (the mortices in the wrong place on the coffee table immediately spring to mind). It is also nice to see use of hand tools. Despite the criticisms, the projects actually look good when finished.

So realistically I don't expect details of specific projects from any of these - what I want and hope for are ideas to stimulate my thoughts and demonstrations of techniques and tools. I would like to see less use of pins and nails through the face of projects - filled holes always show. When I do things I glue and clamp and wait.

I must also mention This Old House - firstly because it's got Norm in it, but also because it is interesting to see Tom Silva using a variety of new techniques and materials and producing some decent woodwork along the way.

I used to watch Bob Vila and his builder/carpenter (another Bob I think) - who came on one week with his arm encased in bandages after an accident with an unguarded saw blade - it amazed me that he was back working within a few weeks.

Finally Hometime. I liked watching Dean and Robyn but currently he has another helper who is just not Robyn. I was watching the episode about two or three weeks ago and cringed when a piece of wood only an inch or so wide was ripped on a portable table saw by one of his team without using a saw guard or push stick - yes he pushed it by hand with his fingers next to the blade. I felt quite quesy afterwards.

MisterFish

misterfish":34pomx7u said:
John Revell. I find the presentation of the programs extremely annoying,

Ah yes, John 'Oooh haven't I got a lot of money' Revell - utterly pointless programs that just show us what this random moneybags is doing with his cash (like paying tradesmen lots of money to renovate his house - amazing...)

Salvager - At least Rico doesn't pretend this is high end - interesting to watch but not what I want in my house.

Yes, great fun to watch, but not necessarily a prime example of fine carpentry - but that's not the point :wink:

Blizzard - A lot of people raved about his programs, but I was never impressed with his work, only a bit better than the Boyz.
Never heard of this one.

Incidentally, I see that since Virgin rebranded TeleWest/NTL there is now a '+1' channel for Real Time, now they just need to put some ruddy woodworking programmes back on it...

Back