Smelly Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just come back from t'shed after working with some elm and some limewood.

My conclusions are thus:

Elm shavings smell like someone has really bad diarrhoea
Lime wood shavings smell like someone came in smelled the diarrhoea and started vomiting.

Truely gross smelling wood.

Or I might be mad.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean about elm though the stuff I have doesn't smell much when you cut it and I use lime for carving and never noticed any discernible smell, maybe I need to have a sniff test at the docs. :wink:

Are you sure the family pet hasn't been peeing on it? Our lab kills the grass so I dread to think what it would do to my timber stock if I let her anywhere near it. :)

Speaking as someone who backpacked extensively in exotic lands in my younger days and experienced 'vomirrhea' in India and shared a room with someone with the same problem I think you may be exaggerating a little. There are some smells that cannot be forgotten!

Elm smells like the climbing ropes in old PE lessons at school. Now you will never get that thought out of your head. :lol:

On the other hand, I was delighted to find that holly smells like my Grandad's tobacco pouch. Not like ciggy smoke, but the unsmoked leaves.

disco_monkey79":qk6j8ovi said:
On the other hand, I was delighted to find that holly smells like my Grandad's tobacco pouch. Not like ciggy smoke, but the unsmoked leaves.

Fresh green holly smells good enough to eat (think crunchy salad)!

Talking about food, I've got a whole collection of tasty-sounding woods: - lime, cherry, plum, greengage, apple, maple, walnut...

I just need to find some: butternut, osage orange, olive....

Back in the eighties a local supplier carried a stock of 10X5 sheets of 9mm ply made of a Brazilian wood whose name I have forgotten.It looked a lot like gaboon and smelt as though it had been marinated in cat pee.

Woody2Shoes":369cfs8v said:
Talking about food, I've got a whole collection of tasty-sounding woods: - lime, cherry, plum, greengage, apple, maple, walnut...

I just need to find some: butternut, osage orange, olive....

You need to add a couple of stakes ....

MikeG.":2pgqwktj said:
I have anosmia. I have no idea what you lot are talking about.
Presumably this affects your sense of taste as well.
I guess anosmia can be tricky sometimes...

Woody2Shoes":2e85hj9x said:
MikeG.":2e85hj9x said:
I have anosmia. I have no idea what you lot are talking about.
Presumably this affects your sense of taste as well.....

Very much. At it's worst I can't distinguish between cooked apple and cooked potato, other than by texture. I prefer stronger tastes.....sweeter, saltier, spicier. I can't distinguish between any wines, and when blindfolded can't tell by smell whether a glass has wine or water in it. Luckily, I can still smell smoke, and can pick up hints of coconut and almond. I can't smell any flowers or blossom at all.

Latest posts

Back