Smartphone short of memory - any advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi

I've got an HTC Desire which, in the main, I'm very happy with. Apart from the built-in memory, which I have discovered is a bit low. It was probably ample at the time, but at 512mb I think some apps have got carried away with themselves and eaten it up.

I've removed as many downloaded apps as I can bear to get rid of, including some (WiFi Manager for example) that are very useful but which I will now have to do that process the long-winded way.
I've got App2SD and have moved as much as feasible to the SD card.
I've stopped using the Gmail app and just check emails via the webpage.

I've done all this and more, and still I'm getting the 'low on space' symbol. I'm just over halfway through my contract and apart from going into the phone shop and pleading (HTC Desire C, 4gb of memory, that must be enough!) does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep this phone for the rest of the contract and still get something like the best from it?

There is a bug with your model of phone.

The contacts list grows to eat up the internal memory.

I don't think there is a fix if you have this problem other than resetting your phone to factory setting which is a real pain.

I don't know if keeping your contacts on the SD card would help.

I only know about this as a friend had a similar phone and similar problems. He fixed it by getting an iPhone.

Mick

I would copy all contacts to the sim card then do a master reset on the phone to wipe everything and redownload apps. Just check you can reinstall any non free apps again without paying again before trying it.

Thanks Folks... I've messed around with the 'Contacts' settings and it's made a difference so far, although I fear a factory reset is looming.
I use Rerware's MyBackUp which is pretty useful for restoring contacts, texts, bookmarks etc so would rely on that. If I do a reset, does it also wipe the memory card?

You can copy some apps to the SD card.

Go to settings > Applications > Manage Applications > select an app > press move to SD card if its available.

Also plug it into the PC and browse the file tree and you will probably find a lot of crud. Old app folders and downloads that you can delete.

Latest posts

Back