Smart Phones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowlife":yf6mv3ll said:
iPhone vs. Android is a debate that will run and run,

Very true, but there's only one real factor to consider when you buy your smartphone, Apple are not the market leaders in smartphones and I think are just holding on to the tablet market lead, but they make the most money, the reason for that is once you've paid for your iPhone your stuck in the Apple eco-system and keep paying (and their products are made with huge profit margins obviously). I'd rather be free and open source rather than molly cuddled by apple.

To be fair Bob, Simon and I both have iPhones because everything we have has an half eaten apple on it and is all put through the business. Once you've taken into account the time saving of "it just works" and the VAT and the Corporation tax deduction it all seems quite a reasonable cost for reading woodworking forums ;)

BUT having said that I wouldn't trade my iPhone 3 for anything (except an iPhone4) Could you bear to try a second hand one?

I've had an iPhone 4 for over 18 months and before that an iphone 3 for 2 years.
When I changed phones I looked at loads of Android but none of them seemed to me to give as good a user experience as the iPhone. I use windows on the PCs at home and they have both worked with that OK as well, so I didn't have an Apple bias before I got my first iPhone.
Even now my 18 month old is worth £227 according to O2 recycle, more than twice as much as a Samsung Galaxy S.
You're not forever paying money to Apple - you're paying the phone company.
I've also found the staff in the Apple shops very helpful and knowledgeable, rather more so than most of the oiks in mobile phone shops.

As others have said the iPhone just works.

If you can't bear the cost of a new phone I'd seriously look at a second-hand (refurbished) one and a cheap tariff.

Mrs Oryx":3hvmj79r said:
To be fair Bob, Simon and I both have iPhones because everything we have has an half eaten apple on it and is all put through the business. Once you've taken into account the time saving of "it just works" and the VAT and the Corporation tax deduction it all seems quite a reasonable cost for reading woodworking forums ;)

BUT having said that I wouldn't trade my iPhone 3 for anything (except an iPhone4) Could you bear to try a second hand one?

Hi Sarah,

I've nothing against the iPhone itself apart from the initial scan of contract terms made them 75% to 100% dearer than hi spec Android based device. Based on an offer made by another member, a pre-owned 3GS is also in the frame now and being seriously considered. Other fruit based phones have been rejected on grounds of screen size as mapping & portable surfing are going to possibly be my greatest use as I have managed all these years without use of mobile voice comms other than in an emergency.

Hope all is well with you & yours

Bob

Bob,
As your phone costs are currently £20 per year I would proffer that you do not need a smartphone. All very well being dragged into the 21st century and all that but I have yet to see the point of theses so called smart phones. Smartphones are very overrated in my opinion and I am beginning to sound more like my father every day :( :D

Cheers

Andy who only uses his phone to speak to people, prefers a map to a sat nav, and would rather read a printed manual than load a CD.

Well to add my two penneth

Had an android which I thought was great before my wife got her Iphone just over a year ago which soon made me realise that the android had its limitations.

Naffed off with the android I got a secondhand iphone 3 before renewing my orange contract and getting a free iphone4.

In a nutshell I would never go back to an android.

But as others say it is all down to personal choice, and what you can afford - whenI recently had to replace my laptop I would have loved a mac but at three times the cost of the HP laptop I bought I couldnt (well swmbo) justify the extra!

All I would say is get what YOU want - at the end of the day you will be the one using it! (Unless your wife has a say of course! (hammer) )

dedee":1quzwad7 said:
Bob,
As your phone costs are currently £20 per year I would proffer that you do not need a smartphone. All very well being dragged into the 21st century and all that but I have yet to see the point of theses so called smart phones. Smartphones are very overrated in my opinion and I am beginning to sound more like my father every day :( :D

Cheers

Andy who only uses his phone to speak to people, prefers a map to a sat nav, and would rather read a printed manual than load a CD.

Andy,
Thanks for your interest.
I accept that my communication habits are unusual but I virtually never talk to anyone on my current mobile other than if I'm travelling long distance and SWMBO needs to know that I have arrived. I send a few texts to folk who are glued to their phone rather than computer using a phone that someone threw away.
I love reading maps - possibly more than reading a book but if travelling it is sat nav plus common sense everytime
However I am a heavy internet user to keep in touch and although I have a lightweight notebook, there are times when I would like to use the www on the move.
The decision in the past has been laptop plus dongle but now that we are travelling further afield and flying rather than driving, a smart phone seems a better option as it can be web, sat nav (vehicle or on foot) and if all else fails, voice comms should I have to talk to anyone.

Ironically when I'm away I'll be using an in-country SIM and the phone will have less use in the UK so I'm looking at the lowest net cost way of acquiring something to do the above.

Hope this might explain more what and why I want it.

Cheers

Bob

9fingers":1107f4lb said:
[ a smart phone seems a better option as it can be web, sat nav (vehicle or on foot) and if all else fails, voice comms should I have to talk to anyone.

And when it fails you've lost the lot :D

I agree that if you want the WWW on the move than perhaps a smartphone is the way to go. The wife and daughter are currently away skiing and it has been reassuring for them and the twins and I back home to see and speak to them everyday using Skype (even if we have having problems with, I suspect, the 3G network). They have had to lug a laptop all the way to the Alps to do this so a smartphone would have been a lot easier. Caveat laptop from work free, iphone £xxxx :D

cheers

Andy

In fairness, no camera on a phone matches a proper camera, though they are getting better. For a quick snap though of a workshop problem etc, it's great.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I have just elected to buy a used iPhone 3GS which I will play with on a 30day contract to see if I get on with it.
Standby for a string of 'how do i do' questions to all you Apple advocates :lol:

Bob

no camera on a phone matches a proper camera

Absolutely not, but the 5 meg camera in my HTC is as good as any small compact I've ever used, better than the Minolta compact that I bought my wife a couple of years ago and half the size.

I find the camera invaluable at work, I can take photos of WIPs and email them to clients for instant approval, saving many hours of wasted effort in some cases. Much of my work involves dismantling things to repaint them, then reassembling them, I always take photos so I can see how to put them back together again!

I still have my first mobile phone than can handle text messages. That was indeed an improvement from my previous one. It has all I need except a hand crank for recharging and an outer shell strong enough to withstand a three storey free fall onto a concrete floor.

Smart Phones.....pfft.......

Bob your first App should be Tapatalk then you can access this and other Forums! :)

I've just been playing with the free MS Photosynth App that stitches together photos and can easily create 360 degree ones.
Works well.

Rod

Don't listen to the iphone fans ;-), just go in to a phone shop tell them you want an android phone and handle all the handsets to see what one feels best for you. The Android OS is so flexible and will definitely cover all your needs and I am sure you will find a handset within your budget.

Harbo":cmtgpz85 said:
Bob your first App should be Tapatalk then you can access this and other Forums! :)

I've just been playing with the free MS Photosynth App that stitches together photos and can easily create 360 degree ones.
Works well.

Rod
Rod
What does Tapatalk actually do that is so wonderful?
Their website neglects to inform potential users of its function!
I seem to be able to use the forum without it.
Bob

Latest posts

Back