Smart home display stopped working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all....

Have just changed energy supplier in readiness to change to an ev to Octopus Go. And noticed yesterday that the smart (used in the loosest of terms) had stopped working/displaying electric being used etc. Having only had 'smart' meters installed last Oct we have nothing to compare it to. Is this normal when you move suppliers..?

Cheers all....

Nick

a google search will answer your question as you haven't provided enough details of what you have.

but in short, yes, it is very typical, depending on the equipment used. do you mean a smart meter provided by your previous supplier? if so, the almost definitely.

ahh my bad.... having reread my post it didn't really make much sense. I'll try again...

Last October we had smart meters installed as my missus is the one who's job it is to go and read the meters. And we were given an indoor display, no problem, all works fine... well, the home display is a bit rubbish to say the least. Sometimes connects and sometimes it doesn't.

We are making the conscious decision to go all electric with the car, so we're in the process of getting quotes etc for a home charger installation. And to make it more cost effective we also swapped from Avro Energy over to Octopus. No problem, it all seems to have gone smoothly.

This is where i think i slipped up with my initial posting....

Yesterday we both noticed that the home indoor display is now NOT registering any electrical usage i.e. kettle on, washing machine on etc, normally we see the little graphic display wizz round to 2kw or whatever it is we're using at that moment in time. Except it isn't. It now just shows zero, even though we are using electric.

A bit more investigation into the menus on the home display shows the electric is being supplied by Octopus and the gas by Avro. We're guessing that it may take another day or two for the gas to switch over.?

So is it a temporary thing while the switch is happening or should we ring Octopus and say whats going on.?

Hope that makes a bit more sense :)👍

Nick

Similar thing happened to me after my move to B Gas. Spoke to them and they said it would sort itself out - which it did. They also downloaded the new tariff values and gas and electric were done over a week apart.
David

Morning all....

Have just changed energy supplier in readiness to change to an ev to Octopus Go. And noticed yesterday that the smart (used in the loosest of terms) had stopped working/displaying electric being used etc. Having only had 'smart' meters installed last Oct we have nothing to compare it to. Is this normal when you move suppliers..?

Cheers all....

Nick

When I switched providers my smart meter stopped for about 2-2½ weeks, before suddenly springing back to life.

I'm not sure how or why it did, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't reflect the tarriff I'm on, as it appears to suggest things will be about ⅓ more expensive than the same usage (in KW/m³) comes to as shown on the my bill each month; which is consistent with the amount I saved by switching from the tariff the existing provider tried to put me on when I moved in.

Never really understood the fascination with smart meters. Billions of pounds spent trying to get these installed in homes throughout the UK. Supposedly they help consumers to reduce energy usage (good thing) but in practice the savings are minuscule. If you want to save energy then just follow simple steps. Making a cup of tea? only boil 1 cup of water. Use the shower instead of taking a bath. Insulate your home properly and use low energy light bulbs etc etc. These meters wont magically reduce your usage, just doing sensible things like the above examples will. However, how much extra energy and resources were used to make all these meters? The only big advantage I can see, for the supplier not the consumer, is that suppliers can remotely switch individual supplies off. This facility is not for cutting off users who don't pay their bills but for use in times when national energy consumption approaches or exceeds available supply. I suspect that the energy supplier scores all of its customers so that the "extremely vunerable" users can be prioritised for continuous supply while rest of us at the bottom of the pile get switched off. Who decides where you sit in the order of priority? Energy strategy and security of supply in the UK is in a terrible state due to poor government
by both labour and conservative administrations. As for green energy .... How do we cope with cold, cloudy, windless winter days? At some point the penny will drop and we will have to start building tidal power generation facilities. These are not popular as the upfront capital costs are enormous and, for some reason, the greens don't like them. But they produce high volumes of reliable and predictable energy.

Not sure they are very smart. I have decided it provides no benefit whatsoever to the customer.

Octopus are good though, been with them a few years (used to be Affect energy but they got bought up by octapuss) .

I had a smart meter installed by octopus, and it did take a few weeks after commissioning to sort itself out (goodness knows why it takes so long), but my IHD has started misbehaving over the last couple of months. It regularly shows no consumption at all.

If you’re moving to octopus go or agile, then it won’t be able to handle the multiple unit costs either, so I’d give up on it if I were you. The same information (about your electricity anyway) can be gotten from your car charger if you get there right one. We have a Zappi because we have solar panels, but it can tell your hope much energy you are using in your home in total and it knows what’s going in to the car too.

You can use the octopus api to use on this party apps to see your total spend for electricity - more reliable than the IHD, which will be wrong at best or not working at worst. I haven’t managed to get accurate gas costs anywhere. I can find the readings for consumption, but I have to do the calculations myself for m3 of gas to kwh and then cost. It’s rubbish.

Good morning all and thanks for the replies...

I know the in home display won't actually save us anything over and above what we already do, its just a convenient visual display... when it decides to work 😒 (we have to reboot it most mornings)

We dont care who supplies our energy just so long as its the cheapest, hence the reason for moving supplier as previously mentioned. Its the cheaper electric tariff during the night time hours that we're after.

Paul.... we too have solar panels, 3.6kw array, and a Solar iBoost+ for the immersion water heating.
We (meaning 'i'...) was looking at the Zappi charger as its smart enough to be programmed to send 'spare' energy to the iBoost and heat the water before then being sent to charge a car.
However, i then stumbled across the Andersen A2 charger. Visually much more appealing (to us) but i cant find out just how 'smart' it is. Yes it'll send spare energy to the car. But can it detect the iBoost also calling for energy.? I'm gona try ringing them and see if i can speak to a technical department and find out

Smart metering often does not transfer between suppliers.
The reason for smart metering is exactly what has been suggested above, due to lack of investment by the private profit-making organisations (so that they can make more profit for their primarily overseas parent companies, who have zero interest in the UK infrastructure, why should they, it's not their country that they are compromising, the UK electrical infrastructure is on its knees and incapable of supporting the proposed roll-out of EV, nor the levels of microgeneration proposed.
EV charging is another minefield. More often than not the car dealer tells you that you can charge the car from any BS 1363 13A socket, which is a lie.
Such suitable sockets have only been available for the last few years and it is impossible to tell from the front whether they are suitable or not.
Additionally, we then have the massive safety hazard in charging from a 13A socket connected to the house supply being used outside with the house earth connected to the vehicle bodywork and the potentially lethal and increasingly common failings of PEN conductors in the DNO networks because they are falling apart due to lack of investment in critical safety maintenance. Then there is the issue with diverted network neutral currents on the supply neutral conductor which is also the earth unless your house has its own earth rod.
Then there are the issues with charge point installers a physical OLEV audit on domestic installations recently highlighted that 1% were dangerous, 8% potentially dangerous, only 21% were fully satisfactory, and 67% required improvement to be even compliant when installed.
The public charge network is even worse, fires and overloads regularly occur because the units are not installed safely, and there are other electrical issues that put the public in mortal danger when using them

I could go on, but, I will finish with when you have your smart meter and your EV, the intention is that if left on charge the EV batteries will be used as a storage reserve for the national grid, as the "smart" charge points which will soon be mandated will take energy from your vehicle to top up the requirements of the grid at times of highest need, to save the private companies investing in their infrastructure, so you may turn up to your car expecting a 100% charge planning on a trip that will use the whole charge and having planned to get to your destination where you can re-charge only to find out that you don't have a full charge and thus are unable to complete your journey in one stint.
A pain if it's a serious commitment.

The above is a fact, the following is my opinion, only those who can pay more will be able to opt-out of having their vehicle battery depleted, thus leaving the rich private profit-making organisations fine, hammering the public purse (think emergency & municipal services because they will be forced to go electric) and the general public unless the rich elite will not be able to afford to opt-out, so once again it will be a means of oppression. Large global corporate organisations already have too much power and influence and are having national governments running scared of legal action or them pulling party funds.
Unfortunately, it is going to take at least one person to die before anything is done, and that is one person too many when it is just to enable companies to make or to have made a profit, and it's immoral and should be illegal.

Nick, if you've had a new smart meter installed in Oct 2020 then I'd assume it should be a SMETS2 unit. The older SMETS1 systems has incompatibilities with one another; such that switching supplier could render your In Home Display (IHD) useless. That problem should be resolved with the SMETS2 systems.

The way the IHD and meter sets communicate may mean that rebooting your IHD could be required in order to refresh all the data for a Change of Supplier (CoS) event.

Re the IHD not showing electrical usage; is there an option on your IHD to show the meter information (meter reading, type, serial number)? That would tell you if it's actually talking to the electric meter part of the system. If it's showing gas usage then it's definitely close enough to the smart meter set to communicate (as the comms hub with which the IHD is paired is usually physically part of the electric meter).

Never really understood the fascination with smart meters. Billions of pounds spent trying to get these installed in homes throughout the UK. Supposedly they help consumers to reduce energy usage (good thing) but in practice the savings are minuscule. If you want to save energy then just follow simple steps. Making a cup of tea? only boil 1 cup of water. Use the shower instead of taking a bath. Insulate your home properly and use low energy light bulbs etc etc. These meters wont magically reduce your usage, just doing sensible things like the above examples will. However, how much extra energy and resources were used to make all these meters? The only big advantage I can see, for the supplier not the consumer, is that suppliers can remotely switch individual supplies off. This facility is not for cutting off users who don't pay their bills but for use in times when national energy consumption approaches or exceeds available supply. I suspect that the energy supplier scores all of its customers so that the "extremely vunerable" users can be prioritised for continuous supply while rest of us at the bottom of the pile get switched off. Who decides where you sit in the order of priority? Energy strategy and security of supply in the UK is in a terrible state due to poor government
by both labour and conservative administrations. As for green energy .... How do we cope with cold, cloudy, windless winter days? At some point the penny will drop and we will have to start building tidal power generation facilities. These are not popular as the upfront capital costs are enormous and, for some reason, the greens don't like them. But they produce high volumes of reliable and predictable energy.
Agreed - though when I moved into a new property a few years ago the In Home Display showed an oddly high electrical usage (far too high to be just the usual background of fridge/freezer and a few lights). It turned out that an electric immersion heater in the house was (unnecessarily) switched on. Without the IHD I hate to think how many massive energy bills we'd have received before I sussed out the problem.

Of course, as it was a SMETS1 system, and we changed suppliers, the IHD is now as useful as a broken house brick 😖

Smart meters are like smart phones, they are only smart in name. Currently the world of smart meters is like going back to the days of Betamax & VHS but with more options thrown in.

Have we not survived for all these years without them, they are not for end user benefit but a cost saving for the supplier as the data is on tap and they can monitor you like big brother.

Smart meters are like smart phones, they are only smart in name. Currently the world of smart meters is like going back to the days of Betamax & VHS but with more options thrown in.

Have we not survived for all these years without them, they are not for end user benefit but a cost saving for the supplier as the data is on tap and they can monitor you like big brother.

I have managed so far to read my meter once a month with out any smart assistance at all, which is just as well !!

Paul.... we too have solar panels, 3.6kw array, and a Solar iBoost+ for the immersion water heating.
We (meaning 'i'...) was looking at the Zappi charger as its smart enough to be programmed to send 'spare' energy to the iBoost and heat the water before then being sent to charge a car.
However, i then stumbled across the Andersen A2 charger. Visually much more appealing (to us) but i cant find out just how 'smart' it is. Yes it'll send spare energy to the car. But can it detect the iBoost also calling for energy.? I'm gona try ringing them and see if i can speak to a technical department and find out

We considered the Andersen (it’s beautiful, and the ability to hide the cable inside the unit really helps too), but at the time the solar integration wasn’t working and Andersen didn’t have a timeframe for it to be working - don’t know if they have fixed it yet. We bought the black Zappi and i find I don’t mind the looks at all now. The interface works pretty well and looks nice.

Attachments

• 58A4D86F-3457-4DC6-A039-01AC76A9AA4F.jpeg
    58A4D86F-3457-4DC6-A039-01AC76A9AA4F.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
The newer (SMETS2) meters connect to a third party company who forward the data to your energy supplier.
It may take them several days to redirect the data to your new supplier.

Back