Smaller Bandsaws Question on Ripping Capacity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering buying a small bandsaw, perhaps this one.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-bas ... 40v/77322#

I notice it says maximum rip capacity and it says 195. Can you extend that by just creating an additional surface for the wood to slide along?

If anyone can recommend a good tabletop bansaw that would be great also. I don't intend to be cutting anything thicker than say 4-5cm thickness.

Thanks

Hi Tetsu,

I don't know much about that particular model, but I don't think you'd be able to increase the maximum depth of cut.
Neither do I think it would be advisable. A bandsaw motor will be matched to the maximum depth of cut available, and any deeper would be possibly be overloading the motor. With some hardwoods, my 351, 8 inch depth of cut Startrite will complain if I try to cut much deeper than 6 inches. So it's best to buy as big a bandsaw as you can afford,, and work within it's capabilities.

Bandsaws are sized according to throat width and depth of cut. As to rip capacity, you can rip as long a piece of timber as you have room for in your shop, providing you rig up out-feed and in-feed supports. And maybe a pal to help you. Ripping on a bandsaw needs a properly calibrated and set up machine, so I'd consult Steve Maskery's DVD on the subject.

My main advice when buying, would be;
Try to get one with variable speed, and roller bearing-guides.

HTH :)

That 195 figure I am sure refers to the width available between blade and frame (throat) , and depth of cut 100mm, but less on extremely hard timbers.

Yes, the 195mm refers to the distance from the blade to the fence. Obviously if you remove the fence you will get a few more cms capacity but will have to rip freehand.
I think that is possibly the smallest bandsaw I've ever seen! I have its bigger brother and am happy with it, now that it is fettled. The Basato 3 would be a rather better choice, I think. Still small but with greater capacity. It depends on what you plan to do with it. Remember that smaller machines mean the blade is turning through a tighter curve, the teeth each do more work and that this results in shorter blade life. A bigger machine turns the blade through a much more sweeping curve and each tooth comes round less quickly, so the blades last longer.

My first BS was a DeWalt and it is still going strong (in my brother's workshop) nearly thirty years later.

John, thanks you for the plug! In turn, can I suggest that the place for BS blades is Ian John at Tuffsaws?

S

Thank you. By the sound it would be okay cutting 4cm thick hardwoods then? I guess you just take it slower if it seems to struggle?

I'm also looking at the Record Power BS250

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p25049/Re ... _info.html

It actually has a lower horse power motor, the Basata is roughly 0.4hp then Record is 1/3hp. I did read a review which compared those models here http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=722

In that he was saying he thought the Basata was less suitable for thicker work, which seems odd as its the higher horsepower. I'm not too sure I want to spend 400+ at the moment and want to keep size down unless its really necessary. As I say I dont think ill be cutting anything thicker than 4cm but I will be using hardwoods like maple.

Perhaps this Dewalt is also worth considering, its a bit more expensive but variable speed and I think more power

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p15406/De ... _info.html

HOrsepower rating can be misleading. Power out is not the same as power in. SOme motors quote a power in rating (ie how much electricity they consume) and some quote a power out (ie what they actually deliver. Just ,ake sure you care comparing like with like.

Also cosinder the stability of the machine. If you are making little boxes, no problem, but if you are ripping 4" maple boards... The board could well be heavier than the machine!
S

FWIW, I had an earlier model of the DeWalt saw, which looked exactly like the current model, and was always excellent. Would cut up to 6" in hardwood without complaint and was easy to track. In fact, it was probably better in many ways than the larger Kity that replaced it. And as a lot of them, or their Elu equivalent, were sold, there are quite a lot going for reasonable money secondhand.

That sounds impressive.

The Dewalt is nearly twice the power in watts as the other model, probably still a fair bit lower than the large bandsaws though I dont really know the exact numbers. Do you have any idea what model identification your old one was? I'll try and find the different ones myself if i can.

4 cm's thick. Not very much. If it can't cut Maple of that thickness the machine shouldn't be on the market.

I bought a wood st*r sb12 from kendal £265 inc. vat and delivery, and after a couple of hours oursing about, it's fine.
It's one horse, and will rip 6" cleanly (but with a good blade, and slowly - you get much what you pay for) ..............having said that, it was about £155 squids cheaper than screwfix!

Can't remember for sure what model the deWalt saw was. The number 3401 comes to mind, but it was some 20 plus years ago. Have a feeling that, like quite a lot of deWalt kit, it was originally an Elu, and so probably a more solid design than some modern stuff.
(Says an Elu fan :D - 2 x MOF177e, 2 x MOF96, MFF80 Planer, pivoting Elu biscuit jointer and probably various others)

Back