Small walnut side table with drawer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superb job Andy, you must be pleased as punch.

=D>

Plus congratulations on your WIP which was a model of clarity.

I hope your efforts inspire others to have a go at making something similar. It doesn't need a huge amount of timber, special tools, or masses of time. And yet you'll be rewarded with an instant heirloom that's in a different league to pretty much anything you'll ever find on the High Street.

stuartpaul":3l0ym4pa said:
Like you I prefer the unstained look. Be interesting to see how it performs longer term. I know Custard says it fades quite quickly but I’ve no real experience with walnut.

The worst for fading is American Black Walnut, which can go a flat muddy brown in the space of a single summer. European Walnut, which is what Andy used, holds up in sunlight far better. It still fades, but it develops golden yellow tones along the way and the grain pattern remain clear and distinct. The traditional finish for European Walnut was a hand rubbed copal varnish, but Osmo is an excellent alternative.

I've really enjoyed following this, it's been very inspirational - I think you made the right decision on the staining, the wood looks really beautiful, brilliant work, and looks fantastic - except I prefer slightly squatter knobs than you!

Cheers,

Carl

Fantastic side table Andy, congratulations. I'm well on with mine in Mahogany and it's a similar design to yours - delicate tapered legs and small drawer etc. I'll post a photo when it's finished.

John

Latest posts

Back