small table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin26e

Reaction score
hi all im looking for a small table saw to use to rip wood to length. i build scale models as a hobby and would like to make my own base's for them the wide'ist it about 160mm. by 25mm thick.the saw would live in a 7ft by 5ft shed but can be take out to use the most i can spend is £200. i will most likeley use it for other small jobs. any ideas would be great.

martin

You state that it is to be use for scale models, me thinks that a cheap saw would most probably not be accurate enough for your hobby.

Why not use a portable rip saw and plane down to your requirements, even an expensive table saw would need hand planing after rip cuts.

I would have recommended Proxxon too as it's what I use - the FET saw is slightly cheaper and newer and I've been very pleased with it. The only issue is that the max height of cut is 22mm.

I've no idea why they couldn't give you 25mm.

What about a second hand INCA? I have had the proxxon FET saw and got rid of it after a few months as it was underpowered and can only cut softwoods up to the max height effectively. I subsequently bought an INCA and it is even more accurate and can handle large pieces as well as small stuff. Another disadvantage of the proxxon saw is that you have to use their blades. Jim Byrnes in the united states makes the best model makers saws available. With the dollar so low they are only a little more expensive than the proxxon machines and might be worth saving up for as they are the Rolls Royce of modelmakers saws.

The FET saw depends what you need it for. It's cut everything I've asked of it so far including plastics and softwood no problem at all. As long as you understand the limitations then it's a great saw. Very accurate and the fine adjustment is great. The std blade gives a very fine cut and isn't that expensive so why would you want to use another blade? Dust extraction could be better though.

If I need to cut big stuff I use my bandsaw.

I'm sure the INCA saw is great but surely by the time you add on shipping for a fairly heavy item, import tax and custom duty etc buying a saw from the US gets much more expensive?

If it is only for bases, I would have thought that most table saws would do, providing that they have a decent blade and fence.

I think that I have confused matters a little.
The INCA saw was Swiss built is no longer made, it is now only available second hand. The dust extraction on it is not great.
The Jim Byrnes saw is a diffferent saw entirely and the best on the market as it is built to do the job not to a price. Does all you could want it to do.
I owned the 36 tooth carbide tip proxxon saw and it cut very well indeed but the drive belt stripped of teeth when I tried to cut 20mm maple on the saw. The FET machine is only intended for short bursts of use (10 minutes use 20 minutes to cool down). I found that sawdust quickly collected in the micro-adjuster on the proxxon machine preventing it from working properly even with cleaning after each session. The FET casing also amplifies the noise created by your dust extractor so although the saw runs quietly, it increases in level dramatically when you cut anything with it and you really need ear protection when you attach the dust extraction.
I think that the suggestion of using a bandsaw is very smart, it is a lot safer to use than a circular saw and produces less dust. I now have a bandsaw but I also wish I had bought it first.

Back