Small sub cill on window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some replacement windows for an old barn. The old windows had no sub cill, they just sat on top of the mortar, one of the reasons they had gone rotten. I was going to put a cill on the new ones that overhangs the brickwork like normal but am having second thoughts as it's an old place and it might look too modern.

I am thinking now of a really small cill maybe only 18 mm deep and putting a slope on the mortar underneath. The windows will only be set back from the face of the brickwork between 12-18 mm, the walls are a long way out, does anyone see a problem with this? I have to put something on as I have already grooved out the windows, lol.

See very quick attached drawing, A as it was, B what I was going to do, C latest thoughts.

sub cill.jpg

Attachments

• sub cill.jpg
    sub cill.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 114
Windows in a barn. That's not a "thing" around here.

When I run into issues like this, I toddle off with my camera down the back lanes and byways, taking piccies of old worn-out buildings to see how it used to be done. Then if you can repeat the look but without the pitfalls, you're on to a winner....which is where you are at the moment. Could you dress some lead into the groove, then down and over the brickwork?

I called them windows but they are actually wooden louvres at the bottom with a small triangle of glass above, lovely things, and I should be calling it a dovecote, not a barn (apparently having a dovecote was a status symbol).

Thanks for the idea about lead Mike, can you see any downside of the small wooden cill option?

I couldn't comment because I don't know the local detail. I mean, it looks like it should help, but if it's wrong, it's wrong.

I'd definitely go the lead route TBH. It will be more in keeping regardless IMO.

EDIT: Another thought ? The existing mortar....bet it's cement mortar which explains why it rotter. You could simply replace it with lime mortar. Sorted.

Back