Small shop spray booth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
As people are starting using for the first time the "Performance Power HVLP" as posted elsewhere, it starts the question on how to create a small spray booth in your workshop.

I was going to run 2 lengths of tension wire down the length of the garage and one across the middle and use ASDA shower curtains which i just pull into place when needed. Does this sound a good idea and will it work?

LyNx

with mine i have only used it in the workshop, so a spray booth hasnt been a problem with the amount of room i have to use, but generally speaking there is very very little overspray, any of which goes straight down instead of hanging in the air, but your idea sounds practical if you have quite a small area to work in

Mine's a very small spray booth - it's an empty ice cream carton :oops: ! When I've finished spraying, I invert it over the piece I'm working on to protect it from dust.

Okay, so that's not going to be a solution to the problem of spraying something like a dining room table; but thinking along the same lines, perhaps something like this might be handy?

Gill

Evenin' All!

Hope you'll pardon my Texas drawl :)

If you have access to Michael Dresdner's The New Wood Finishing Book, he has pics of a booth made up of cardboard carton material (think upright refrigerator boxes). He calls it "John Wilkes Booth". Too clever for a Southern American!

There is another one I've seen in a magazine that is constructed of PVC pipe with polyethylene (polythene in the UK?) sheet covering it. This one can be constructed without glue; so it will break down for storage easily.

Both of the referenced booths employ 24" box fans to exhaust air from the booth. They employ fiberglas filters ahead of the fan blades to trap what little excess spray might be present.

There are those who will debate the safety of using flammable (inflammable? is there a difference?) finishes with a normal electric motor. In my opinion (don't rely on it if you don't want), there is no danger -- or so little as to be less likely than a lightning strike. Engineers and chemists can explain the ratio of air (oxygen) to particulate to sparking source, but I cannot. Everything I've read from credible sources of that ilk state there is no danger for all practical purposes.

If anyone is interested, I can offer pics via e-mail of the PVC booth construction diagram.

Hope this made some sense. We are after all, two great nations separated by a common language.

BobH

Hi All
I spray in one of two places- just outside my workshop in a side alley that is sheltered from the wind or actually in my workshop.
If I spray inside (which is a garage) I crack open the garage door and also the side door and, depending on which way the wind is blowing, rely on that to take away any overspray,etc. You do need to clear some space and put down some newspaper on the floor but you can get away with it.
Building a "tent" from a frame and some polythene sounds like a perfect way to keep things clean (cheers Bob! :wink: )
And don't forget to wear a "suitably rated for paint" air filter!
Cheers
Philly :D

Thanks Gill.. that Green House idea is great!!

I spray like Philly, Outside. and actually this is the best way, and the most recomended way, A light breeze and you have a perfect result :p

I just to do it in the garage with the doors open and with a draft, but hell you still get dust settlement on your work :twisted:

McLuma

Latest posts

Back