Small routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesd

Reaction score
I've gained some experience with my first router, which is a large Ryobi 3HP model borrowed from a friend. Whilst it's powerful and unstoppable in a router table it couldn't be described as delicate and I often feel like I'm riding it, rather than controlling it. It's ergonomics leave a lot to be desired and it's just too much for most of the small jobs I want do (trimming and rounding over edges). I'm looking now for the first router I'll actually buy.

The trend T4 looks tempting but I suspect that it may be too much of a compromise, and is more of a laminate trimmer with a plunge base. Instead I've been eying up the Dewalt D26204K which comes with both plunge and fixed bases, which looks more like a small heavier duty router which can also be used as a laminate trimmer.

It looks like being able to remove the router from the bases allows for easy changing of bits, and the fixed base and it's twisting height adjustment looks like it could work well as part of a smaller router table without needing a lift.

Anyone used this router or a previous incarnation?

I think the trend T4 is okay for the money.
I have successfully been using it to cut dovetails with a leigh jig, but take the cuts in small bites to avoid overloading the router.
I did have a problem when the aluminium casting cracked, but Trend replaced it free of charge even though it was well beyond the warantee period.
Just for the excellent customer service I would recommend trend.

I'd agree that the T4's OK for the money - I have a couple of them slung under a bench for basic grooving and rebating in MDF and they work fine for this. Worth keeping and eye on the Trend website for B and C grade stock (typically damaged packaging or refurb demonstrators, full warranty) -
here.

HTH Pete

Hi i have the Dewalt D26204K router and would highly recommend it i have used it for rebating and grooving and it copes no problems and the two bases are excellent quality and very handy.
I like the led light feature it is placed spot on just were the cut is being made and it comes with diiferent dust extraction fittings for the two bases.

Have you looked at the Triton JOF001? Looks quite smart (although it doesn't have the handle depth winder of its bigger brothers), is reasonably priced and has a 1/2" collet which the DeWalt doesn't have.

I bought a load of T4's and T5's at a discounted price, all have broken within a few years, I'd go for a dewalt.

I had a Trend T4. Nice for using horizontally ie for setting hinges in an existing frame but too top heavy on the bench, hideous bit change and mine broke. Have a T5 now - much better for light work eg edge moulding or dovetailing.

I'm on my second T4 in about 12 months and it has just died on me.

Ridiculous. hardly used this one. The motor blew up on the last one. Trend will repair for free but i'm going to sell the next one as new and go with a bosch.

Totally garbage!

Trend will repair for free but i'm going to sell the next one as new and go with a bosch.

Funny, isn't it, the way things go. I don't doubt you at all, but I have a Bosch POF500 (the scintilla) which must be all of 20 odd years old. First router I ever had, and although I now have Tritons, DW's, Elu's, Ryobi 601's, hitachi and makita routers I still instinctively go for the bosch for small work. I have it fitted with a milescraft base that slots into an array of jigs and bases and takes a load of bushes. It is bulletproof; I rout hinges, dovetails, rebates and mouldings with it. It has never missed a beat.

The T4 is a direct copy of the POF500, isn't it? Very basic, yes, but a helluva tool. I don't think I have ever heard a bad word said about the scintilla POF500, and yet I'm not sure I have ever heard a good thing said about a T4. (Well, not a lot anyway).
So I guess it must all be about the motor?

Try and find a POF500 and I think you have all the good of the T4 and none of the bad.

hth

neil (just back from work)

Back