Small router recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Don't use a router much. I've got a cheapo Erbauer router which is OK but not that nice or convenient to use, big and heavy etc. I think I'd be better off with something smaller and lighter for what I'm doing at the mo - 8mm deep shelf housings and similar.
I use spindle for most stuff where possible so don't need a router a lot of the time
What's favourite small one which won't break the bank? Light, perhaps 1000kw, nice to use?

Dewalt 615 as my 'medium' duty router, but when I need a smaller one, I'll be buying the Katsu one from Amazon.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the little Katsu.
At about £28 I have used and abused one and I find it perfect for small jobs.
I made a housing jig for it and find it very useful.

Cheers thanks. Katsu perhaps too small (cheap though!), Dewalt too big, so going for Bosch GKF600 plus plunge base. It gets good reviews and I've got to go to Screwfix anyway.

That Bosch looks like a nice little machine.
Just check the collet size on the one you buy - for some reason there are some that are 1/4" and some that are 8mm. UK ones are usually 1/4" but EU versions come in 6mm and 8mm.

I still keep buying up the Bosch POF 500A and 52's on eBay when I see them cheap enough. Absolutely bombproof design, lightweight and very powerful for the size.

Unfortunately people have realised you can put them in CNC machines as a motorhead so they've gone up in value from £15 a router to £30+.

Great choice. I picked up that bosch from screwfix a while back with the plunge base and have been very pleased with it. It is so easy to handle, and works well wirh the set of 12 trend cutters.

Nick

sammy.se":1tinpen4 said:
That Bosch looks like a nice little machine.
Just check the collet size on the one you buy - for some reason there are some that are 1/4" and some that are 8mm. UK ones are usually 1/4" but EU versions come in 6mm and 8mm.
Bosch - GKF600; came with 2 collets, 1/4" and 6mm.
Nice to use. Fussy design but seems versatile. Body can be fitted to plunge accessory bought as extra, or to simple plate with height adjustment and fence. No fence for the plunge add-on, which seems an omission - there are fittings for a fence so must be available as another extra. Spend spend - a bit at a time!
PS oh yes here it is another £72! https://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-paral ... ers-447252 that's a bit of a cheat!
I gave away my Black & Decker SR 100 when I bought the Erbauer monster, which was a mistake I now see.

Rorschach":k29k9cmh said:
How is the Gkf600 any bigger than the Katsu?
Er - good question! Basically I was relying on Bosch name, plus the plunge base thing. I now see the Katsu has a bigger motor. Oh well.
And buying the cheap Erbauer was a bad experience - it has a high spec, lots of adjustment etc but generally is crude, heavy and difficult to use. Bosch always seems OK in my experience.

I had a GKF600, brand new. I looked at it, looked at the accessories and their cost, thought about future proofing etc.
It didn't take me long to make a decision.

I sold it, second hand but boxed and unused and got 80% of the "new" price for it. That money paid for a pretty much complete Katsu package with all the bases and add-ons (except the offset base as I can't see a need for that at the moment) and 4 sizes of collet. I still have enough left over that I can almost buy another motor if this one burns up.

Now it may not be as refined as the Bosch, but I was pretty happy with that deal.

I’d vote for the Dewalt Trim router too. May be a bit more than you’re looking to spend but the adapters etc that come with it mean you can use it for a lot more than the cheaper alternatives.

Have been using my new BoschGKF600 router. Seems very good. Looks a bit fussy at first glance but is light, easy to use and only moderately noisy. Had to file down a 10mm spanner to fit the thin spindle slots which seems an omission - it came with the other one you need- 17mm. It's got a spindle lock but you have to take off the attachments to get at it. It sits upside down on its flat top which is handy if you are fiddling about with cutters etc.
Can't compare it with the alternatives, not having had hands on, but I think it's OK and am pleased with it.
Now working out how to do shelf housings in two passes with first time accuracy. 5/10 so far, but will get there!
Using a home made saw board. This lines up with mark for first cut no prob. Second cut (the other half of the slot) I line up with the shelf runner it's intended for, rather than to a mark. Chippings send it off line - might try the dust extractor attachment next.

What about using the saw and saw board to make the edge cuts and then remove the rest of the material with the router?

This is what I plan to do for slots wider than I can do in one pass. Though I have made a track adaptor for the Katsu so it may be accurate enough for multiple passes anyway.

Why not make an “exact width dado jig”
Works in a similar way to a homemade saw rail in that the the tool cuts its own reference edge so is spot on.
I don’t have time at the moment but will come back later with description or link to a video.

Thanks for suggestions.
Just realised - though I need this small router for a number of good reasons it's the wrong tool for these housings. Duh!
Have ordered 20 and 22mm straight cutters 1/2" shanks for the big horrible Erbauer.
Will get there in the end. I'm out of practice with a router. :shock:
Question. Is there likely to be much difference between Ebay offerings £7 ish and Wealden tools' at 3 times the price?

It’s more how comfortable you are with a bit spinnng at 24,000 rpm in close proximity, I’ve had cheap bits snap, I’ve never had a Wealden bit go so am happy these days to pay the extra.

Have you got a 30mm guide Bush for the Erbauer, running that in a slot is a simple way to cut housings

Back