small router / laminate trimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Makita 3707FC laminate trimmer not so much for trimming laminate but as a small router for easing edges, cutting out for small hinges (in situe) , groves for inlay/stringing and maybe trimming veneer.

Anyone had any experience with this or similar tools, it got quite a good write-up in a group test in FWW.

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=324732

Jason

When i trained many years ago we used to use a makita one just like that, obviously its been updated but looks the same. I and others loved it, it was very easy to use and sturdy as well. I thought of getting one a few weeks ago myself and remembered how good they were.

I don't think you will go much wrong with it jase for what you want it for.

I definately recoomend it

Jasec
Coggy

Yep....what Coggy says

I use one when fitting kitchens for trimming the edgeings of worktops.....works a treat. :D

I've often thought about using it for the things your after and i can't see any probs with any of them.

I would also recommend it.

Jason I have the DW631 kit

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/products.asp?li ... id=7&sid=1

More expensive but it has a large base area with the router cutter at one end so is very unlikely to tip as you are using it to round over etc.

Good extraction too but the adjustment can be fiddly I use it all the time for the sort of job you are thinking of, in preference to my other routers.

Other downside is that you can't actually see the cutter when it's running.

Keith

With John's recommendation on the board I bought one to help rout in butt hinges.
I'm delighted with it.

Albeit I have the 3708F (With lights which are super)

Jason

Let us know what you decide. I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a bit but at the mo I just use an old 1/4 Bosch router which works fine unless the base plate gets in the way.

What I'm still not sure of is the overall advantage of a trimmer vs a small router. I can easily operate the Bosch one handed. Can someone expand - its bound to be obvious!

Thanks

Tim

Thanks for all your comments, will go for the 3707FC as I think the variable speed will be usefull, don't fancy it running at 35000rpm all the time and I don't see a need for the angled base that comes with the 3708.

Jason

Back