Small Record Power lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a small lathe for turning drawer handles, knobs, tool handles, corner mouldings and the like, and I saw a few Record Power lathes that look quite interesting, especially the price (just over 100 pounds). However, I know nothing about the quality of Record Power tools. Are their lathes worth buying? I forgot to write down the model number but the two lathes I was looking at are only slightly bigger than most Midi/mini lathes like the Delta. Is Record Power a new division of record tools? I was ready to pay about twice as much for a mini lathe but if they are half decent I'd probably give them a try.
Thanks for any feedback!

For the objects you intend to turn I am not sure that you need a lathes which such a dimension between centres. And if you plan to turn long items this lathes will not give you the desired stability.
So you would say what should I buy?
I think that axminster offers a more than decent lathe (in my turning school I use two of them) and that is the Perform CCSL at £ 109.94. It has the advantage to have an extension for the occasional long turning, but on normal usage you will be able to sit your lathe in a smaller place.
Should you want a larger one I still suggest a Perform CCL at 149.95
Now, if you want to enjoy your lathe for life I would go on to the VICMARC. I have equipped the rest of the school with several models, all with electronic variable speed device.
Good turning

Thanks for the advice la truciolara,
What you say makes sense to me. I'll go back to my original intention of buying a mini lathe.

Frank,

I have the bigger brither of the Record (DML36) and to be hones the engineering could be better, also it does not have much mass so it vibrates a fair bit unless you fix it to something very heavy. I can't offer much other advioce because I've never tried any other lathes so have nothing to compare it to.

Les

Thanks Les,
Kind of what I expected for the price, but sometimes cheap tools are good too so I just wanted to check with you guys. I'll try and get a hold of a Vicmarc mini lathe, but there aren't too many dealers in canada.
BTW La truciolara, you live in paradise, how do you ever get any work done???
It's snowing in Montreal right now...

Latest posts

Back