Small Record Plane Identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Steely

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I own this small Record block plane and am trying to find out which model it is and what angle the blade should be honed to.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Attachments

• 20210513_170744.jpg
    20210513_170744.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210513_170807.jpg
    20210513_170807.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210513_170858.jpg
    20210513_170858.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 59
It looks like a Record 075 to me from the picture.......
If you google that, then select images you should see pictures.

The blade is bevel-up, so hone as usual to about 25 - 30 degrees, or the angle of your preference. Up to an included angle (blade, plus the bed angle) of about 60 degrees, the plane will cut. A higher cut angle will deal with awkward wavy grain, while something at about 45 degrees will cut better.

Firstly, the iron is in the plane upside down (in the first photo).

As the iron sits at 45 degrees, I believe it should be sharpened at the same angles as a bench plane i.e. grind at ~25 degrees, hone at 30 degrees.

And finally, that model of plane has a reputation of being difficult to use (impossible to get good results from). I don't own one (and have never used one) so don't know if that's true.

So, good luck.

Cheers, Vann.

Firstly, the iron is in the plane upside down (in the first photo).

As the iron sits at 45 degrees, I believe it should be sharpened at the same angles as a bench plane i.e. grind at ~25 degrees, hone at 30 degrees.

And finally, that model of plane has a reputation of being difficult to use (impossible to get good results from). I don't own one (and have never used one) so don't know if that's true.

So, good luck.

Cheers, Vann.

They need to be set very fine to get them to work well.

Hi Dan.

The label on your Record 075 dates it from any time between 1932 to about 1955.

Can't help you with the woodwork question. I would describe myself as a prospective woodworker in waiting, after I have built the shed, paved the yard, repointed the kitchen wall, decorated the hall..............

Thanks all.

The idea of having the blade bevel down is totally counterintuitive to my little brain.

Best wishes to all

The idea of having the blade bevel down is totally counterintuitive to my little brain.
It's all to do with the angle that the cutting edge attacks the wood. If you hone the cutting edge at 30 degrees and then put it bevel up on the 45 degree bed of the plane, the cutting edge attacks the wood at 75 degrees - this gives a scraping action (possibly suitable for some Australian hardwoods).

If you put the iron in bevel down, the top of the iron is parallel to the 45 degree bed - so is also 45 degrees. Attacking the wood at 45 degrees gives a slicing action. This is what you want for most timbers.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

Back