Small Plane, Interesting day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a close look at my 75 probably for the first time since I bought it many years ago!
One surprise was that the throat isn't intended to be adjusted. To work at all well the blade has to sit firmly on the body; at the mouth, along the sides and on the flat part of the top i.e. all in a dead straight line/plane. This only possible with the top part sited precisely in one position - and screwed down tight before you put in the blade and tighten the screw cap.
Cut a little rebate OK. Will have a fiddle tomorrow.

Last edited:
And someone is selling a 90J on ebay for £255.

RARE, STANLEY USA 90J BULLNOSE PLANE - MADE IN USA | eBay

Nigel.
Seems to be a lot of that going on - people putting stuff at daft prices just on the off chance that somebody will get carried away, or drunk, and buy it. A big collection of very ordinary used S%J saws was being offered at £120 each and similar prices. Should be £10 to £20 each
Caveat Emptor - and don't buy when you are pineappled!

Omg ! Is that what happens? Have a few beers, pizza ,more beer... go on ebay and buy rubbish at inflated prices?
That's why my garage is full then !

Last edited:
Couple of years ago, Paul Sellers said he particularly liked Groves saws; they promptly started going for silly money. (Groves saws are very good, but they're not five times better than everybody else's.) Then every chancer on 'a certain internet auction site' started thinking ALL old saws were worth Paul Sellers inflated Groves prices. Given time, it'll all settle down again, mainly because few sales will occur at those silly prices, and the chancers will have to drop their prices to something more realistic.

Same with everything else, I suppose. Unless people know something I don't - which is entirely possible!

So then, back to the small Plane .... I need to re profile the bevel and have it bevel down as thats the way it is intended to be ? and close the gap between the blade and the front of the opening ?

I need to flip the blade over
1608331772411.png

I need to flip the blade over
View attachment 98655
Yes blade hone at 30º and other way up. Yours looks a bit steeper than 30º but I could be wrong. Just one bevel no need to fiddle with a grinding bevel on a very small thin blade.
Also essential - set the top piece back so that the gap you see in the photo, between the plane blade and the body underneath, is closed tight. This will also close the mouth - it's too far forward. See previous post for explanation n.b. the mouth is not for adjusting even though it looks like it. It's just made that way for low cost construction.

Last edited:
Never had a bullnose proper. I just break my Record shoulder plane down and it does the same job. Only real problem is there ain't nothing in front of the cutting edge so care is required; or use a chisel.

John

I picked up a 077A in the early 1960's and it has been my go to little friend all my working life, for those hard to get too places I could take the front plate off and had a chisel plane.

Bevel down - and 30º. See previous post. It can't work the way you've got it except as a scraper. Also your angle looks a but steep - it needs to be 30º - the whole bevel, no need to grind a shallower bevel on a little blade like this.
Oddly Paul Sellers has it bevel up and it seems to cut readily.

Different plane but I guess same principle ? Im obv new to all this so everyone's help is greatly appreciated, right let me go look to see if there is a name on the plane blade !

Different plane but I guess same principle ? Im obv new to all this so everyone's help is greatly appreciated, right let me go look to see if there is a name on the plane blade !
Different plane and different principle - Sellers' is a low angle. Guessing 18º? Add 30 bevel up and you have 48º cutting angle.
75 is 40º. Bevel down this gives 40º cutting angle. Actually a lower cutting angle, for what it's worth!

Latest posts

Back