Small piano hinge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
We keep decrying the Americans but they do have a lot of stuff readily available which is such a struggle to find over here. I have been looking for some small piano hinge, 20mm when open, and with no luck so far. Does anybody know where I could source such a thing?

Andy

Thanks Ian, tried there but a little too small but you may be the man who's able to help me. it is a proposed opening lid to the interior section of a fly tying box, the piece will flip over to uncover the vice which will then be clamped to the piece.

Andy

Attachments

• Hinge detail.jpg
    Hinge detail.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 173
The vice itself won't be heavy but the work carried out on it may put some pressure on it, I have included some pictures and the panel on the left needs to swivel open, it is veneered birch ply so I have put a frame round it to cover the edge and to give something to screw into. I have considered butt hinges and if I go that way I may use three or even four.

Attachments

• Box so far.jpg
    Box so far.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 165
  • Box so far interior.jpg
    Box so far interior.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 164
Andy. Based on your sketch I have yards of it!
But beware! Genuine piano hinge is not two continous leaves, it is one long leaf with shorter leaves every few inches. I have lots of that in brass that has been removed from, guess what, Pianos!
If that helps, let me know, I've just nipped out the the work shop and measured it, it is 10mm from the edge to rolled brass around the pin.

Roy.

Thanks guy's,
Spry's only do brass plated or iron nickel, it needs to be solid brass as it will have to be cut to length and then the mild steel will be exposed at the cuts.
Cooke bro's look like manufacturers and don't know if they would sell one length but will ask.

Andy

Latest posts

Back