Small panel saw around £3,000 and advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelcity

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new hear and relatively new to the field of woodworking so go easy on me 😁
I am looking to purchase a small ( I only have a small workshop) panel saw and have a budget of around £3,000 - £3,500. I was looking at the Startrite TS1 and also the iTECH Sicar SEGA300 Panel Saw 2600 230v/1ph by Scott & Sargeant only because they appeared to be in my budget but I'm open to any suggestions. I can't afford Felder, Panhans or Martin but I am aware they all offer a cheaper range like Woodpecker & Hammer, although I still think these will be too expensive. Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 👍

Are you vat registered? The saw you linked to is £3500 plus vat making it £4200, I’m out of touch with the price of new machines thankfully but I’d have thought Hammer would do a saw in that price range, I could be wrong.

The SCM Minimax are good, I quite fancy this SC2, you could buy it and save me some money

https://www.blythmachinery.co.uk/sa...c2c-sliding-table-panel-saw-240v-single-phase
There is also a nice looking used Minimax SC3 on ebay at the moment, got no bids on it yet, will probably be a bargain for someone, think it's just the moving/transporting it that puts people off.
Just under £3K with VAT is a great price for that two-year old SC2 Classic. It has the optional scoring blade, which eliminates tearout as the wood passes through the main blade. I have this saw, but with the 3-phase motor and paid more than that in 2017.

Are you vat registered? The saw you linked to is £3500 plus vat making it £4200, I’m out of touch with the price of new machines thankfully but I’d have thought Hammer would do a saw in that price range, I could be wrong.
I'm not vat registered so I'd probably go for the smaller bed as I'd not noticed - iTECH Sicar SEGA300 Panel Saw 1600 230v/1ph
Apologies, it would probably be the model down which has a smaller sliding table and comes in at £3,000 - iTECH Sicar SEGA300 Panel Saw 1600 230v/1ph | Scott+Sargeant UK (scosarg.com)

You could also look at a secondhand Martin or Panhans or Altendorf. They tent to fit easily within your budget even lightly used ones in seemingly good condition. Of you for some reason want too buy new you could take a look at Rojek which seem to be reasonably well made though a little nferrior compared to the aforementioned high end saws.
I know very little about new saws but I know that you should get one with tilting blade and overarm guard for maximum versatility.

Hi All,
I'm new hear and relatively new to the field of woodworking so go easy on me 😁
I am looking to purchase a small ( I only have a small workshop) panel saw and have a budget of around £3,000 - £3,500. I was looking at the Startrite TS1 and also the iTECH Sicar SEGA300 Panel Saw 2600 230v/1ph by Scott & Sargeant only because they appeared to be in my budget but I'm open to any suggestions. I can't afford Felder, Panhans or Martin but I am aware they all offer a cheaper range like Woodpecker & Hammer, although I still think these will be too expensive. Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 👍
I'm collecting a wadkin bgp panel saw soon that I'll be selling - I don't have room for it but I couldn't let the scrap men have it. PM me if it's of any interest to you. It'll save you a lot of money!

Back