Small Olive box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Small Olive box with Ipe finial
IMG_20200921_085551_634.jpg

Hi Adam
Another great piece. I notice that you use a lot of olive wood for your pieces. Where do you get it? I have been trying to get some for a while, but without success.
D
Thanks, all of the Olive I use is salvaged from the firewood delivery pile, if we drive the car back to Blighty any time next year I'll remember to stick a couple of logs in the car and we'll try to get them to you (presuming you're in the UK)

Hi Adam
Another great piece. I notice that you use a lot of olive wood for your pieces. Where do you get it? I have been trying to get some for a while, but without success.
D
Thanks, all of the Olive I use is salvaged from the firewood delivery pile, if we drive the car back to Blighty any time next year I'll remember to stick a couple of logs in the car and we'll try to get them to you (presuming you're in the UK)
I have some lovely olive ash which i have milled up this year.

Thanks, Nelly,
I know about Olivewoodturning. The have olive planks in abundance, great for spindle work, or furniture making, but I want bowl blanks. They do not seem to have them.
Anyway, cheers for the pointer.
D

Thanks a lot, Olive is a special wood, i'm very fortunate to have access to it.
Here is some of the olive wood I have access to (it's all olive)

2020_0413_1829.jpg

I even have a lathe that I was given about 8 years ago, but never used. Last week the new belt for the lathe arrived, but that is as far as I have got with it. Need to make a stand next, and then very, very cautiously, I will see what happens when bits of firewood spin at high speed.

I've asked myself "What could possibly go wrong?", and the list is quite long...two pairs of underpants, I think.

sunnybob,
its everywhere and often even big old trees will be cut up for firewood....makes me cry.....
most fire wood come from pruned trees tho...when I say pruned, they hack it back to the stump.....
and within months it's growing back.....guess thats how they keep em going for a 1000 years.....
I have access to a guy with tree stumps 1/2 to 1ton.....that should make a nice bowl.....
hence buying the Wadkin RS......just cant fine enough money for a DB lathe anymore.....
should have bought one when they were cheap.....realativley speaking.......

You should be making river tables and hotel foyer furniture with those pieces.
Neither option appeals, oddly. Currently they are tucked away, drying, while I try and come up with something suitable. In the meantime I am making things like sharpening stone boxes and mortice gauges, because to me it is free wood.

I just looked at the olivewood turning site, and they are selling firewood for pizza ovens at £5.00 per kilo - it's all the offcuts from their workshop, it would seem. Olivewood firewood here, as in my photo above, sells for €0.10 a kilo, or €100 a ton, if you prefer. Anyone want a truck load?

Strangely, despite living next to an olive grove and talking to the farmer often, I have never seen a tree cut down, apart from minor pruning of branches that are so small that firewood is the only use for them. But I have seen him dig up entire trees and sell them on.
I shall have to ask him next time he comes past.

Here is some of the olive wood I have access to (it's all olive)

, View attachment 92899

I even have a lathe that I was given about 8 years ago, but never used. Last week the new belt for the lathe arrived, but that is as far as I have got with it. Need to make a stand next, and then very, very cautiously, I will see what happens when bits of firewood spin at high speed.

I've asked myself "What could possibly go wrong?", and the list is quite long...two pairs of underpants, I think.
Wow lovely slabs, I had a smallish one like that and made a hanging lamp out of it, slabs like that are also great for turning, that Olive smell is amazing

Latest posts

Back