Small lathe question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small Jet JML 1014 lathe. So far I have used it for a few pens and small spindle turning items. Having received a set of O'Donnell jaws, I figure I will have a go at a small box or bowl. Just one question - as the bed clearance is not that great, what do people recommend for bowl hollowing technique due to the bed fouling the bowl gouge handle?
Thanks
Si

mount blank on lathe ,drill hole in blank to just under dept reqd. and use a gouge working from center to outside useing pull cuts. thats the way I do it other people will have their own way.

knappers":74ug0vjb said:
.......recommend for bowl hollowing technique due to the bed fouling the bowl gouge handle?

Bowl gouge handle should be nearer horizontal than pointing at lathe bed, the very fact that you have the tool rest there should keep the gouge handle above the bed.
If the cutting bevel is presented with the tool pointing up at too much of an acute angle then a catch is going to be all the more destructive because the tip will be driven deeper into the wood rather than free space.

90 % of my bowl internal work is done from rim to centre, especially when working thin walls so that the rim has maximum support for as long as possible.

Si. I would reccomend that you follow Chj's. instructions as that is the way it should be done.
The way I do it gets me the result that I want. But if you were to stand one of my bowls beside one of Chj's
without boubt you would use the CHJ method, as indeed I will be doing when I get back to the shed.
Which ever you decide to do be safe.

Happy New Year

Twos up on that one Chas. With the handle near horizontal if you get a catch the gouge is almost thrown away from the wood. Still a surprise, but no where as destructive. I normally drill the centre out too and work from the rim, even if it is an end grain. I find it a lot easier to do that.

A steeper bevel angle (55° +) will allow the bowl gouge to be used at a lower angle and will help avoid hitting the bed. The correct way to hollow the bowl is for the gouge to follow an arc from the outside of the cut to the centre so if you follow this for the best cut, the handle will inevitably drop below centre but with a small bowl, the amount will not be too much.

Latest posts

Back