Small hollow form for my first critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon gents, a very enjoyable was had by all I trust.

After six months of learning I have produced the first piece that I am pleased with.
It's a small Yew hollow form for my first critique.

Its 7 1/2" high and 4 wide with 1/8" wall thickness at its best, it came from a 8" seasoned log from ebay and turned with the cheap £12 Axminster bowl gouge and finished with 80-400 grit then micro mesh to 120000 grit and polished with the Chestnut 'C' mop and pure Canauba wax. I painted the inside with black Acrylic and the flash seems to combine with the black to show some nasty knocks on the inside but it actually looks better when viewed by naked eye.

I would have liked to have had a longer log in order to taper the bottom of the form to a smaller diameter, but wishing to keep a large proportion of the sap wood and inclusions its perhaps a little fat at the lower end.
The depth of hollowing is only 6" as need a longer drill :lol: but it does lend the item some weight when handled.
The wall thickness increases somewhat from about 60% depth as fear combined with the joy of producing the first (real?) hollow form resulted in just tooooo much stress, I did not want this one on the log burner :lol:

Advice please gents.

Regards
Tony

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

Bemused said:

There is also a few lady turners on the forum :wink:

Nice work loving this ...Yew is one of m fav woods to work with always get good results with Yew

Dieseldog":1wpmeq31 said:
Bemused":1wpmeq31 said:

There is also a few lady turners on the forum :wink:

Nice work loving this ...Yew is one of m fav woods to work with always get good results with Yew

Most sincere apology, its a sort of automatic salutation that arises from working in a male dominated enviroment. :oops: (hammer)

I do enjoy Yew myself but often overheat it slightly with the polishing mop and end up with crazy paving :lol:

Tony

piece looks to complement the wood very well - good colours and contrasts.

like it

Gorgeous piece of wood, nice form and I like the use of black on the inside. My only dislike is the inward round-over at the top, but that's just personal preference.

Back