Small Hollow form for Club event

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned the hollow form below for a club 'competition'. The club placed a box of teak blanks approx 3" x 3" x 4" on the way out in February with the condition if you took a blank you had to table something at the March meeting.

This was my entry. Approx 2 1/2" dia x 3" tall. Colours are translucent (except white) acrilics applied by air brush and the overall finish is a chestnut gloss.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Simon.

CIMG0966.jpg

CIMG0964.jpg

CIMG0962.jpg

CIMG0961.jpg

Hi Simon

I really like this piece and I have to inform every one that this photo does not do it justice.

In the flesh the colours are much more vibrant.

The finish is perfect and a very beautiful piece. I saw two small forms including this one on Saturday and it got me thinking that you can make small forms and they have just as much presence as a larger piece.

Well done on this piece Simon it was very nice indeed. Right down to the fine detail where you have tucked the base in so a shadow is thrown covering it joining the table so that the eye continues around the base of the form without a break.

I have to say, this is one of the nicest things ive seen turned on this site. I usually prefer chunky rustic looking stuff, but this is a pleasure to behold. Excellent.

I am sure its beautifully crafted, but I'm sorry - it does little for me. I dont like stained colours on wood. Well done though - I wish i could turn so well.

Looks very nice Simon.I like the grain showing through.
Is this the piece you made with the two Marks,or just the club :?:

I really really like this piece, I'm only a beginner and normally like the natural pieces, but the colouring on this is really tastefully done. Love
it, its the first piece thats made me consider colouring a piece.

A piece to be treasured.

Matthew

Paul.J":2wc2cuhr said:
Is this the piece you made with the two Marks,or just the club :?:

Hi Paul,

I turned this piece at home for display with the other pieces turned by other members from the teak blanks.

The day with Mark x 2 really focused on technique and methods rather than finished work. Most of the day was taken going through the process and turning a hollow form from wet sycamore ready to be bagged to dry before being finished turned at a later date. The remainder of the day was spend turning a side grain form from seasoned wood which will be finished at home as time beat us in the end.

One of the really great features of the day was to look and touch some of the pieces the Marks had collected / turned over time. Mark H had his tear drop vessels, Mark S his lidded forms together with some other turners work. One of the highlights (second to Mark x 2 work of course), left casually on the table was a miniature hollow form by David Ellsworth. Probably 2" dia x 1" tall and hollowed through a hole no larger than 5mm to a feather weight. Just shows, it does not have to be huge to have impact! :oops:

S

Back