Small Footstool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't done too much in the shed recently, but when we decided that a small footstool was needed I jumped at the oportunity to get back.

Sorry, but WIP pictures didn't even cross my mind. The wood was bought from Pugh's auction in Ledbury last year as several lengths of oak. Its not oak but ash, but no problem.

Tried to keep the design fairly simple. Mortise and tennon joints throughout, pegged in the legs with walnut dowel. The cushion is a square of foam bought for a couple of pound on ebay. The Mother-in-Law made the cover. Top of the stool is a couple of millimetres smaller than the cushion in both directions so it fits snugly. The finish is Briwax Medium Brown.

That about it really, just some pictures.

footstool1.jpg

footstool2.jpg

Bob

Nice, clean design. I like. Where did you get the walnut dowel, out of curiousity? It makes a nice contrast on this piece.

Nice little job. The corners of the seat rebate look better if they're rounded, but it can't be done with a bearing cutter in the router...I usually use a scribing gouge to chop the end grain profile in the legs and then a bevel down chisel to remove the waste - Rob

The dowel I bought from http://plugitdowel.co.uk/. Nicely made good quality dowel.

Rob. I try to break all the edges usually with sandpaper. Doesn't really show up too well on the pictures, but I haven't left a sharp edge. Your trick with a gouge sounds interesting enough for me to have a go at though.

Bob

bobscarle":1iuy5d3m said:
Rob. I try to break all the edges usually with sandpaper. Doesn't really show up too well on the pictures, but I haven't left a sharp edge. Your trick with a gouge sounds interesting enough for me to have a go at though.

Bob
The curve in each corner ought to be something like that produced by a 10p coin or something similar ( a plastic wine cork is ideal) then just chop down gradually with a scribing gouge till you reach the line, come in horizonataly next with a 6mm chisel held bevel side down to remove the waste - Rob

Back