Small Engine Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice will it have a practical use boat / plane?

Where is the air intake?

On my old engines it used to be unfront just behind the prop.

Does it run on petrol with that spark plug.

Used to have PAW diesels, OS glow plug engines and a fox 35. Mainly flying c/l !!!!!

Cheers James

Nice will it have a practical use boat / plane?

Where is the air intake?

On my old engines it used to be unfront just behind the prop.

Does it run on petrol with that spark plug.

Used to have PAW diesels, OS glow plug engines and a fox 35. Mainly flying c/l !!!!!

Cheers James

Hi James, the air inlet port is in the head.

I need to make the carburetor and it will sit to one side of the head.

Intention is to run on petrol and spark ignition.

Plan was to use it in a tether car - just an idea in my head at the moment though.

Thanks, Nigel

Stuck?! I have 3 small very basic engines sitting on the shelf, two of which will never run due to my inadequacy as a machinist, while the third (Elmer's Grasshopper) I've lost patience with. Your engine is looking good, w-a-y beyond my capabilities, and you seem to be almost there. I'm sure we'd all like to see it running. :)

Re tethering my dad - mid 80's wrote this

Wow, the last time I saw that activity when I was about twelve. There was a model show at Romford YMCA which had tethered cars in the car park powered by American Dooling and McCoy glow racing engines. The local model shop owner was keen on them.

Cheers James

Stuck?! I have 3 small very basic engines sitting on the shelf, two of which will never run due to my inadequacy as a machinist, while the third (Elmer's Grasshopper) I've lost patience with. Your engine is looking good, w-a-y beyond my capabilities, and you seem to be almost there. I'm sure we'd all like to see it running. :)
I've spent a long time learning the skills and building stuff that doesn't work - the stuff that doesn't work is just not shown ;)

I've tried to shift my woodworking hobby towards model engineering and it hasn't gone too well. I'm in my 70's and although I have no respiratory problems dust is a concern. Years ago there might have been evening classes for budding model engineers, but not today. I've been lucky to have a friend who is a superb engineer and model maker, and he has been generous in his knowledge and 'how to'. Without his help (and YouTube) I'd be lost.

Last edited:
I've tried to shift my woodworking hobby towards model engineering and it hasn't gone too well. I'm in my 70's and although I have no respiratory problems dust is a concern. Years ago there might have been evening classes for budding model engineers, but not today. I've been lucky to have a friend who is a superb engineer and model maker, and he has been generous in his knowledge and 'how to'. Without his help (and YouTube) I'd be lost.

I really like the combination of wood and metal work. I find it very relaxing and helps me clear my head. Dust is one of my concerns, I do use a dust extractor on machines and a general workshop dust filter that cleans the volume of air every couple of minutes. This is in addition to a mask.

Also, I've been trying to build pages to help with engineering, some of these are based on the ways I've learnt to do things. I'm not trained in engineering and this has been noted by some with the comments I've had.

Back