Small curved sided oak box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlebas

Burbling Pixie
Reaction score
Well, hello again.

I am put in mind of Maurice Bowra’s comment to Tolkien when he (JRR) had just had another of his books published: ‘Not more f******g elves , Tolkien?’ Substitute boxes for elves and Phlebas for Tolkien… Well you get the point. It is another box.

Last edited:
this brings back memories, I presume this the same box from woodworkingmasterclass by sellers? looks good so far

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Dovetails to me are like gandolfs magic to bilbo (something to hide under a blanket from untill they go away :roll: ).
I doubt I shall ever try to do them.
A drop in lid is whats required. That would make it a very fine tea or coffee caddy.
If you make a pivot lid you have lost all the space under the end that pushes downwards, and if the contents were to shift you wouldnt be able to open it without turning it upside down.

thetyreman":3er1akvc said:
this brings back memories, I presume this the same box from woodworkingmasterclass by sellers? looks good so far

Erm. I didn't know he'd done one. Is it on the subscribe/have to register site?

sunnybob":2duc0sep said:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Dovetails to me are like gandolfs magic to bilbo (something to hide under a blanket from untill they go away :roll: ).
I doubt I shall ever try to do them.
A drop in lid is whats required. That would make it a very fine tea or coffee caddy.
If you make a pivot lid you have lost all the space under the end that pushes downwards, and if the contents were to shift you wouldnt be able to open it without turning it upside down.

Thank you sunnybob. I barely reach the level of Radagast (on one of his off days).

Mmm, I see your point about the pivot. You could get round the shifting contents problem, but why bother complicating a poor idea... I think I agree with you.

And you should try dovetails you know.

It looks very neat indeed. Matt Estlea has been messing around with odd shaped boxes in his garden workshop series on YouTube. His ended up looking great, but I think yours are better!

Clever. It would appear from one of the pics that the short side interiors are flat; I would have tried (probably unsuccessfully) to make them concave to match the curvature of the dovetails - Rob

Phlebas":1hmspr4w said:
thetyreman":1hmspr4w said:

yes it's not one of the free projects but it was my favourite one by far, I think you can see the introduction video for free but have to be paid subscriber to access the rest, which I am fine with.

NickM":21ttzyfn said:
It looks very neat indeed. Matt Estlea has been messing around with odd shaped boxes in his garden workshop series on YouTube. His ended up looking great, but I think yours are better!

A kind comment, but it seems unlikely. Thank you anyway.

woodbloke66":2ouzl8c5 said:
Clever. It would appear from one of the pics that the short side interiors are flat; I would have tried (probably unsuccessfully) to make them concave to match the curvature of the dovetails - Rob

Thank you. Yes, the interior sides are flat. I did think about curving them, but ended up deciding that it would achieve nothing (no more useable internal space) and make the interior much more difficult to ljne. Also, I am painfully aware of my limitations.

thetyreman":u87xaus9 said:
Phlebas":u87xaus9 said:
thetyreman":u87xaus9 said:

yes it's not one of the free projects but it was my favourite one by far, I think you can see the introduction video for free but have to be paid subscriber to access the rest, which I am fine with.

Ah, that is why I hadn't seen it. I'll have a look for it now, and see if he did anything differently (for which read better).

Back