Small Cufflink Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
First posting under the new UKW format (good btw) of a little cufflink box. The box was made using the last fragment of my board of 'waterfall' elm sourced from Yandles a few years ago:

IMG_1116.jpg

Standard thru' shovetails with a solid top and veneered ply base. No 'lift' fitted but a small chamfer was worked along the front and on all sharp edges. The interior compartments (six in all) were made from my stash of Bog Oak, 5300 years old. In order for the halving joints to be made invisible, the sections were fitted from the bottom upwards into their grooves. The easier way is to fit the base, then mitre the sides in position and finally push the partitions in from the top vertically downwards. This was done the reverse way round which made it much harder:

IMG_1118.jpg

The hinges were some from Ian Hawthorne:

IMG_1119.jpg

The interior was lined according to Custard's method (card and double sided tape) with some faux velvet supplied by Derek Jones of F&C fame some years ago:

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

Finished with a couple of coats of mat Osmo-Polyx with some Swedish beeswax from CHT over the top - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 537
Phwoar, that's absolutely fantastic !!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice job, the Bog Oak looks jet black and absolutely stunning, as good as it gets in fact!

=D>

That's the perfect storm of skill, materials and clarity of design right there. A real treat to see. :shock: Thanks for sharing. I'm going to sit in the garden by myself and ponder my inabilities. :(

Back