Small compressor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertterbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've purchased a 10 litre pressure chamber to work with resin that I want to use indoors. I'm wondering what the smallest compressor is that I can get away with to fill it to the required 60 psi?

I naively thought I could use a 12v car/bike pump which says it goes up to 120psi. But it barely gets it above 10psi?

Ideally I just want a pump rather than something that has a tank as I don't need to store the air.

Look on gumtree second hand.... any compressor with a tank that size or bigger will do 60 psi. Is that all you will use it for?

Look on gumtree second hand.... any compressor with a tank that size or bigger will do 60 psi. Is that all you will use it for?
I was asking what the smallest I could get away with is, and is there something I can use without a tank as I don't need to store air. I just want something to compress the vacuum chamber as that's all it will be used for.

Any pump that goes over 60psi will do it; just that a bigger pump will do it quicker.

So why wouldn't the car tyre inflater work? (Tried two)
They were lying about the 120 psi? But my tyres are around 60psi so it should work for that. Do you know anyone with a proper compressor you can try on the pressure chamber?

I was asking what the smallest I could get away with is, and is there something I can use without a tank as I don't need to store air. I just want something to compress the vacuum chamber as that's all it will be used for.
I understood what you asked, but lacked the answer you want. I believe that old garage tyre inflators were a motor that had a small reservoir and they basically worked to give pressure on demand.
My point was really that compressors are probably a better option. In theory, the tyre inflator should work, although it would probably struggle to actually achieve 50 to 60 psi.... the guage might go up to that, but the pump cant necessarily do it. Its like the really old fiestas with speedos that went to 120mph. The only way to get it going that fast would be to drop it from an aeroplane at a great height.
Good luck with your search

My airbrush compressors go to 60psi then autostop and restart when pressure falls to 40psi.
Sparmax make good ones - single or dual heads - and are very quiet. A twin head would pump up your tank in a couple of minutes.
Look for used on ebay as they cost a couple of hundred new.

My airbrush compressors go to 60psi then autostop and restart when pressure falls to 40psi.
Sparmax make good ones - single or dual heads - and are very quiet. A twin head would pump up your tank in a couple of minutes.
Look for used on ebay as they cost a couple of hundred new.

Just tested that this morning with a friends air brush compressor. It got to about 25psi, but no higher. The air brush compressor was set to around 55 psi.

What I don't understand is how I can pump my wheelchair tyres up to 100psi with the following, yet when I use it on the tank, it stops at around 10-15psi??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vastar-Portable-Compressor-Electric-Motorcycles/dp/B091C8HCGW/ref=sr_1_5
Does it have something to do with the tank size?

I assume the pumps you have been trying are diaphragm types: small flow and low pressure.
Air compressors with a tank would be some sort of mechanical pump.

Why they don't get to the stated pressure I am not sure. If you are sure you don't want a cylinder I would try something like this. I think it is still a diaphragm type but it is double acting - two pumps in one. £119 from Amazon.

61NlltuyVmL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I assume the pumps you have been trying are diaphragm types: small flow and low pressure.
Air compressors with a tank would be some sort of mechanical pump.

Why they don't get to the stated pressure I am not sure. If you are sure you don't want a cylinder I would try something like this. I think it is still a diaphragm type but it is double acting - two pumps in one. £119 from Amazon.

View attachment 140629
Interesting, ebay has them for £25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394176992608https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-FUN-Speed-Compressor-Heavy-Inflator/dp/B07PNNBLV9

What I don't understand is how I can pump my wheelchair tyres up to 100psi with the following, yet when I use it on the tank, it stops at around 10-15psi??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vastar-Portable-Compressor-Electric-Motorcycles/dp/B091C8HCGW/ref=sr_1_5
Does it have something to do with the tank size?
From the Amazon link that you gave: "Vastar team is a responsible team. We provide you with the best quality intelligent air pump. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we will give you a satisfactory reply within 48 hours."
Why not ask them?
Possibly such a small compressor is struggling because you have a leak in the pressure chamber, or because the battery is run down. The blurb does say that it's for topping up tyres, not fully inflating them.
Duncan

From the Amazon link that you gave: "Vastar team is a responsible team. We provide you with the best quality intelligent air pump. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we will give you a satisfactory reply within 48 hours."
Why not ask them?
Possibly such a small compressor is struggling because you have a leak in the pressure chamber, or because the battery is run down. The blurb does say that it's for topping up tyres, not fully inflating them.
Duncan

No leak with the pressure chamber as it works fine when tested with a normal air compressor

I'm also quite capable of knowing when the battery is dead. And as I already said, it pumps my tyres up to 100 psi

Just tested that this morning with a friends air brush compressor. It got to about 25psi, but no higher. The air brush compressor was set to around 55 psi.
That simply sounds like a small + cheap model.
There are better ones out there if you keep eyes open for a used model more like this
https://www.everythingairbrush.com/...iston-airbrush-compressor-2-5-litre-air-tank/
Sparmax badge their kit up for a few brands. They make some of the best and most powerful airbrush compressors. I use 3 in parallel to get a 90 cfm continuous airflow for real HVLP spraying.
20210420_183044.jpg

Build quality is good and most usefully you can get spares for them. Here's a used one opened for inspection. Pristine.
20210326_123548.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect that your pump produces a pulsatile flow. Filling a tank will give a final pressure of the average output pressure. Filling a tyre through the one way Schrader valve will give you the peak pressure of your pump.

I've purchased a 10 litre pressure chamber to work with resin that I want to use indoors. I'm wondering what the smallest compressor is that I can get away with to fill it to the required 60 psi?

I naively thought I could use a 12v car/bike pump which says it goes up to 120psi. But it barely gets it above 10psi?

Ideally I just want a pump rather than something that has a tank as I don't need to store the air.
If you’re on the Makita 18v platform they do a great inflator, I’ve used it up to 110 psi with no problems.

Latest posts

Back