Small Chamfer Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
This small chamfer plane is made of padauk and brass, with an iron of O1 steel. One fence is fixed and the other is adjustable. An Allen key for making the adjustment is stored inside the plane, held in place by a rare earth magnet within. Most of the work was done with hand tools.
1-IMG_7450A.JPG
2-IMG_7440A.JPG
3-IMG_7441A.JPG
4-IMG_7445A.JPG
5-IMG_7446A.JPG
6-IMG_7442A.JPG
7-IMG_7443A.JPG
8-IMG_7444A.JPG

I like that Richard, esp the detailing for the hex key on the toe

(edit) or heel looking properly at the blade angle

Last edited:
Nicely made Rxh, would a concave cutter be useful in a plane like that, for taking the arris off an edge?
Never used one so just asking. Ian

Nicely made Rxh, would a concave cutter be useful in a plane like that, for taking the arris off an edge?
Never used one so just asking. Ian
Thanks Cabinetman - that's an interesting idea - I'll give it some thought.

Another excellent plane Rxh. I like the way you've included the allen key into the heel and the finger indentations.
How is the brass sole attached to the padauk body?

Would be great to see some work in progress shots as well as the finished article.

Another excellent plane Rxh. I like the way you've included the allen key into the heel and the finger indentations.
How is the brass sole attached to the padauk body?

Would be great to see some work in progress shots as well as the finished article.
Thanks HH – I’m sorry I didn’t take WIP photos this time but this “exploded view” should give you a good idea of the construction of the plane. I made the sole first of 1/8” thick brass plate and screwed it to a slightly oversized block of wood which I shaved down to size. I removed the sole and completed the body, which was an ordinary woodworking operation (a small hand router plane was useful for finishing the channels). The fences were the hardest part: I filed an edge of a piece of ¼” thick brass plate to 45 degrees and then cut off a strip which I filed to the required width. I clamped the fences to the sole and drilled them through the holes I had previously made in the sole. The nuts were made from ¼” square barstock and are threaded No. 4 BA (with hindsight I could have tapped the sole and screwed the fixed fence directly to it). The lever cap was cut from ¼” thick plate, drilled and tapped ¼” BSW, then filed to shape. To make the lever cap screw I knurled the end of a piece of 5/8” dia. barstock then turned and threaded a spigot and parted off. I reversed the screw and, to avoid damage to the threads, I held it in the chuck in a piece of hex barstock which had been tapped to suit. I turned the “dish” in the end of the knob freehand and finished it with abrasive paper. The iron was made from 1/8” thick O1 steel.
IMG_7451A.jpg

Excellent stuff Rxh, a really well thought out design.

I really want a lathe so I can start turning again. I've been looking at mini lathes but even second hand they are so expensive :(

You can achieve quite a lot by hand turning brass, as long as you can hold securely in a woodturning chuck. Negative rake cutting angle, it then is easy to raise/lower the cutting edge to find the sweet spot. I use a re-purposed HSS tool. Hand turning mild steels is also possible, but more laborious and a lot less fun.

Hi,

Are you selling this tool?

This small chamfer plane is made of padauk and brass, with an iron of O1 steel. One fence is fixed and the other is adjustable. An Allen key for making the adjustment is stored inside the plane, held in place by a rare earth magnet within. Most of the work was done with hand tools.View attachment 94181View attachment 94182View attachment 94183View attachment 94184View attachment 94185View attachment 94186View attachment 94187View attachment 94188

Back