Small Bread Bin - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
It all started when I made a tissue box for my Mom. It was shown to the Mother-in-Law who said it was very nice but she did not use tissues. But she could do with a small bread bin, if I didn't mind making her one, to fit under the microwave in her kitchen. Only needs to be small, light wood in preference to dark. Leave it up to you see what you have got.

Looked at my (not very large) wood stack. Some oak, cherry and iroko, nothing really suitable. Then I remembered these.

bin1.jpg

These are from science tables which I bought from Corby a while back. Made of beech, should be ideal. I just love making things out of wood that would otherwise have been thrown away.

Not having a bandsaw, which I think would have been better, all of the pieces were cut into two or three on the table saw. I clamped a piece to the fence just short of the blade to stop the wood binding.

bin2.jpg

And this is what we end up with. A few burn marks but nothing that cannot be sorted.

bin3.jpg

bin4.jpg

After a trip to see Mr DeWalt the thicknesser, this is what I ended up with.

bin5.jpg

These four pieces are for the top.

bin6.jpg

Cut roughly to size, then take off the old varnish with an old Record.

bin7.jpg

Then true the edge

bin8.jpg

And make sure it is square

bin9.jpg

Clamp it up and leave overnight

bin10.jpg

Base, top and sides are now glued up. I still need to glue up the door for the front.

More soon

Looking good. I love how the beech comes up once you have cleaned all the varnish off it. Like yourself I love using timber that would otherwise have gone to waste.

Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Michael

Looks like an interesting one to follow. Do you know yet what you are going to finish it with?

Looking good Bob. I will be following with interest. I've used a fair bit of that Corby Beech and I really like it. I wish I'd got much more!

Olly

I have got some Chestnut Food Safe finish that I have used before on bowls. Never tried it on any flat stuff but I see no reason why it would not be OK. Doesn't colour the wood either. I will post a test.

Wizer

I know just what you mean, I wish I had got a load more. Anybody know if they are still selling it? I would definitely take another trip over and get a car full.

Bob

Dave

Thanks. Its always good to make something from what is often seen as rubbish or firewood.

I said I would post a test of the finish I intended to use. Went out to the shed tonight for five minutes and tried a little on a couple of offcuts. It does colour the wood a little more than I thought, but thats fine. There is no smell.

See what you think.

bin11.jpg

Bob

I think for something chunky like a bread bin, I'd use one of the hard wax oils.

bobscarle":234zpqv8 said:
Olly

I have got some Chestnut Food Safe finish that I have used before on bowls. Never tried it on any flat stuff but I see no reason why it would not be OK. Doesn't colour the wood either. I will post a test.

Wizer

I know just what you mean, I wish I had got a load more. Anybody know if they are still selling it? I would definitely take another trip over and get a car full.

Bob

AFAIR, I read somewhere here that Corby are no longer selling benches and that Sarah, who originally offered them is no longer involved.

Bob
Who also wishes he had bought more!

Bob,

for me that colour is a little dark - but on the other hand it may suit the intended kitchen!

FWIW, I prefer a lighter (but not yellow!) colour.

I was also interested in the right-angle plane - thanks for the link

Dave

wizer":q4nmor2q said:
I think for something chunky like a bread bin, I'd use one of the hard wax oils.

I think the danger there is that it could 'taint' the bread? That's certainly the case with Danish oil. Tung oil is safe to use on chopping boards and the like but, it would darken the beech even more than the food safe oil.

Osmo dries with more of a film if you build up the coats.

Too hot today to dig in the garden so more time in the shed. :D

Progress on the bread bin. The glue has set on the boards. I like to use a scraper on glue ups, it just seems to work well. Gave me a sore blister on my thumb though.

bin12.jpg

Cleaned up the boards, cut them to length and width, then shot the ends square.

bin13.jpg

Cut the mortices (housings) in the sides.

bin14.jpg

Then into the tenoning jig to cut tenons on the ends of the base, the tops of the sides and a small cross piece which gives the door something to close onto,

bin15.jpg

All Tenons cut.

bin16.jpg

This is the thin piece which the door will close against. Ripped it down then cut the mortice by hand.

bin17.jpg

The base and sides sit in stopped housings so the tenon needs trimming. I cut about 10mm off.

bin18.jpg

Dry run. Not terrible.

bin19.jpg

Made a template for a shallow curve at the bottom of each side. Marked it out and cut it with a coping saw. Smoothed the curve using a drum sander mounted in the drill press.

bin20.jpg

At last, some assembly. Because of the difficulty getting clamps in, I decided to glue up in two stages. The base to the sides has glue on it, the rest is dry and only there to keep the box square.

bin21.jpg

Thats where we are now, more to come soon.

Good progress. Nice to see hand tools being used. Bet the glue doesn't take long to go off in this weather! :wink:

To stop your thumbs from 'burning' and blistering while using a scraper, you could try holding a bit of abrasive paper between your thumbs and the scraper.

Been away for a little while whilst my wife was sorted out by the hospital.

I have now finished the bread bin and even delivered it on Sunday.

Last job was to make the door. Simple piece, flat door hinged at the bottom. Glued up from four strips, flattened with a number 4, shot square and fitted.

bin22.jpg

bin23.jpg

bin24.jpg

Now hands up all the people here that have nearly finished a project only to realise they have made an enormous c**k up........

No.....

Nobody.....

Just me then!

Fitted the door hinges and the door then realised that it would not open properly. For some reason I had positioned the bottom housing too low and there was not enough room between the base and the table top. Stupid mistake, or what?

bin25.jpg

bin26.jpg

The only solution appeared to be to raise the height of the base above the worktop. But how? the box had been glued so I had no way of moving the base up. I had intended to turn a knob for the front of the door so I decided to turn four small feet as well. These were about 15mm high and had a small tenon.

bin27.jpg

Drilled four holes in the bottom of the sides and fitted the feet. You could almost believe they were part of the original plan.

bin28.jpg

Cut a piece of hardboard for the back and finished the box with two coats of Chestnut food safe oil.

bin29.jpg

bin30.jpg

So thats finished and the Mother in Law is very happy with it.

It's not about the number of mistakes you make it's how you deal with and overcome them. :wink: Nice solution, by the way. Never concede defeat! :)

What are your thoughts on the food safe finish, by the way?

Olly

The food safe oil is not bad. Goes on much like any other oil. It dies to a matt finish and has no noticable smell. It does darken the wood slightly more than I had hoped.

All in all I would say if I were doing another "food" item I would definately use it again.

Bob

Back