Small bench pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a bit of ebay searching and googling Im starting to warm to the idea of an old drill press. I quite like the look of the Fobco star there seems to be a few about and it could be a project to convert a 3 phase or just restore one.

Any advice on what to look out for when buying an old drill press ????

The most important one is no play in the quill. Easy to test just plunge drill to it's maximum and give it a wiggle (trust me that's about as technical as I get. If you want to know a bit more about the Fobco Range (F.O'Brien & Co) who only basically produced the same two drills for forty some odd years see link below.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/fobco/

I am not the best person to ask as I just followed advice from people who know far more than I but you don't have to be an engineer to appreciate rock solid construction, dare I say it they are almost bullet proof. Sure buying any old machine is a bit of a lottery but I think you will enjoy the journey. Try looking at old posts regarding the machine you will find plenty of useful information.

When I first got mine home I had great plans for the full refurb, paint et al and one day I might. Right now I just like owning a great bit of kit for which I paid a price could afford and which I hope will see me out.

There are loads of people on here who will help you if you go down the old machine route, just don't be surprised at what some people will pay for these things, they sometimes go for telephone numbers. I just had a price I could go to and stuck at it until I found the right machine at my price point.

Good luck and if I can help in any way just ask.

Latest posts

Back