Small bench mounted bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Inca 260 (as well as a big bandsaw) and I find it a really nice machine to use. Incidentally, I have got so used to the alternative orientation of the blade, that it now seems the more correct way round. (Ian at Tuffsaws is your man for blades, just remember to state it is an Inca, so they make the blades the correct way round).

A couple of things from my experience:

- I think you will want the mitre fence, so look out for one - I recall I got mine here https://incamachines.com/english/mi...saw-bench-complete-assembly-as-per-photo.html (expensive at the time, though cheaper then than now!) they don’t list everything so it is worth emailing them - the mitre slot is a dovetail shape. so not easy to just fit any old guide bar.

- looks like yours is without stand, as mine was - I got a Record BS250 bandsaw stand Record Power RPTBS250AW BS250/AW Stand and Wheelkit For BS250 and made an intermediate wooden top from some edged worktop - this stand suits the machine very well.

- you will find some silicone lubricant is useful for the tilting quadrant and the mitre fence slot (when you inevitably get one).

- I bought some ceramic blade guides that have worked flawlessly.

Cheers

I’ve heard that said a few times, is there any reason you wouldn’t just turn it inside out?
Maybe that is all that Tuffsaws do, I didn’t really think about it 🤦‍♂️- I just recall Ian saying that as I had stated it was an Inca, they would send the blades the correct way round.

Cheers

Get the most powerful bandsaw available. I'd say 2 HP is a mininium.
Make sure you are not restricting your ambitions, a larger saw will cut smaller but a small saw cannot cut larger and if you have space you get a lot more choice with floor standing ones.

Absolutely agree. The smaller 350 watt bandsaws are quoted to cut about 120 mm but they must mean cutting polystyrene ! I have an old Multico and had to put a 2 HP motor into it to cut 50 mm hardwood. I soon get fed up with the slow speed so I splurged on a Hammer NS 4400 with a 4 HP motor. This is the ideal scenario and I keep a fine 14 tpi blade in the Multico and a coarse 3 tpi blade in the Hammer. Power is everything in a bandsaw so I would aim for something above 750 watt at least.

It all depends on the application.

Sure, a large saw can do all a small saw can, but space is always at a premium, so, what's the point in a model maker giving up load of space for a wadkin DR when a little desktop Inca will do all they ever need to do?

What I mean to say is, simply saying bigger is better just isn't the case in all scenarios.

I've got an ags 10. Would I like one of the sliding wadkin table saws? Sure... But I wont buy one as then I'd have less space for other tools that will give me greater overall gains.

There was one of the big wadkin bandsaws on eBay a month or so ago.
No bids at all on the first listing. Could have had a £1.5k saw for pocket change, and, sure, I was very tempted, but it probably wouldn't have done my current application any better than the small desktop Inca. And would have compromised the accessibility of my other tools, so reduced their ease of use.

I will add that the space needed for the BS400 Record is about the same for the BS350, I think this is because the 350 sits on a base unit wheras the 400 sits on the floor.

Sorry to add to the list, but if you can find a fine adjuster https://incamachines.com/english/inca-348-182-02-micro-adjuster-342-186-euro-260-bandsaw.html, you will find this worth it. I use mine all the time.

Cheers

I don’t have the fine adjuster and agree it would be very handy - I find myself nudging the fence to fine adjust a cut quite often.
I do have the mitre fence though and use that a lot. I give it a wipe over with a beeswax impregnated cloth to help it slide.

Back