Small bench mounted bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike MW

Reaction score
I am intending to buy a small bench mounted bandsaw. Does anyone have advice on the best one to go for. The Record Power BS250 seems well reviewed. I
would have liked something like the Inca 260 but these appear to have been discontinued. All opinions gratefully received

I don’t think any of the modern bench mounted machines are notable, build quality wise, but the Record seems the best of a bad bunch. A friend of mine has an Inca for sale if you’re interested.

I've just been through the same process and just placed an order, not delivered yet. Mainly for woodturning blanks but I'm sure it will get used for a lot more.

The RP seems to be out of stock in lots of places, Snainton woodworking have one in and they are a decent outfit, real people. I have a fairly basic Record Power lathe and am happy enough with it.

In the end I ordered the Axminster 1950, a bit bigger and has a stand which I can fit in with a reshuffle. £360 ish so a bit more than the Record but with low stock the price of the RP250 is elastic, some seem to be above list or have silly delivery costs. The Axminster smaller one looks OK too and that is bench mounted but I decided that the cut depth might be marginal for me, not sure any will really perform near their capacity, not too worrried about throat size. I was influenced by proper reviews generally and in particular on you tube "Badger Workshop" - sensible sounding real person who reviews the RP250 and later gets the Axminster. In another of his videos on you tube he builds a trolley/storage rack to replace the axminster stand, I might go that way in a bit as well.

I also found the Axminster "Wednesday workshop" series which has good demos of cutting curves and other things on the same range of machines. They do 3 sizes, the biggest was nice but to many £££ at the moment. Of course they are going to make it look good but it seems honest. The Axi doesn't have a mitre guage, you can buy one for £50 but I've not, I will make a sled, circle jig, mitre and see how it goes. I did throw in an extra tenner for a 1/4 inch blade for doing the smaller blanks. I think the RP does have the mitre guage included.

RP also do videos, their site recordpower.co.uk.

I got confused and frustrated by the badge engineering - is a Clarke a Scheppach, what about a Metabo, is the Record any better, etc., and Clarke don't have a very good reputation for parts and service. Be on the lookout for table, the cheaper ones are pressed not cast and may be less good absorbing vibration. I never quite trust 'star' reveiws. If they are universally bad then I avoid, but you get silly 5* ones saying quick deliverey not used it yet and silly 1* ones saying won't cut tight curves (well, you wont unless you get the right blade). So after a week of immobilising myself and collecting too much information I just went for it. The Axminster from a final shortlist of that, the RP250 and a Metabo 261.

With current delivery situation on kit generally I wouldn't order from anyone who says "we can get one in for you sir", only from someone who has real stock.

Hope that helps - but remember, I've not got it yet! When I do get it, likely Tues, I have a fair bit of workshop/garage re-organising to do + set up + learning so it will be a while before I can really make a judgement. Unless of course a review that says "quick delivery, nice box" is helpful. :)Thought not.

Last edited:
Thank you for your very prompt replies. I would be interested in the Inca if it is in good working order.

Here it is:

58DCD8D5-75E1-4C83-BA39-70394CA1C2D9.jpeg
540C16A7-3304-41C6-B965-54B3BB308D02.jpeg

Full working order but thrust bearing on blade guide needs replacement. I can see a crack in the lower case and the fence looks like it has had the blade rub against it at some point. New blade(s) recommended as for any used band saw.

No idea of value. Forum thoughts welcome. I think it’s a Euro 260 but I’m not 100% sure.

I was going to service this (I service machinery for a living) and put it on eBay, but I’d be happy to sell ‘as is’ if you would like to do the work yourself.

Looking at your location, I could deliver this in June if you can wait. Using a courier is possible but it would need to be a pallet and a bit of a faff to pack up as well as the risk (quick search shows another one on here wrecked by a courier)

Looking at your location, I could deliver this in June if you can wait. Using a courier is possible but it would need to be a pallet and a bit of a faff to pack up as well as the risk (quick search shows another one on here wrecked by a courier)

I’m scheduled to be heading to the south coast next month; I could potentially take the machine to a convenient rendezvous, if that helps.

Very nice little saws, by the way; I fixed my dad up with one and it’s been great.

I am interested in your bandsaw . However I do not have the engineering skills to service it. Would you be prepared to do all the necessary repairs and then sell it to me. Can you give me an indication of the price you would want in reconditioned state. I could certainly meet you at a rendez- vous when you come down to the south coast.

I am interested in your bandsaw . However I do not have the engineering skills to service it. Would you be prepared to do all the necessary repairs and then sell it to me. Can you give me an indication of the price you would want in reconditioned state. I could certainly meet you at a rendez- vous when you come down to the south coast.

Ok, I’ll try to pick it up on Wednesday and make an assessment.

I picked up the same saw (different branding but same saw) last week and have been impressed with it.

My last saw was one of these -

8673622-21.jpg

I sold it, as I never really got on well with it, but the Inca seems an entirely different situation.

I'm sure you would be happy with one.

Not really relevant, but does anyone know why the Inca, and all (AFAIK) meat cutting saws are "back to front"? Never tried to use one, but would be interested to know if it has any effect on the way you use them?

I have an Inca Euro 260 and agree that the machine on offer appears to be the earlier version (mine has start stop buttons facing operator and is blue).
Thrust bearing should be an easy fix snd crack in case should glue OK.
No idea why they are built backwards but it’s a great little band saw.
Have instructions which I can scan if required.

Thankyou Hamster Jam [great name],
I would be very grateful if you could scan the manual for me.

From all the posts on this subject I am getting the impression that this is a very capable machine.

Thankyou to everyone who has taken the trouble to post.

Make sure you are not restricting your ambitions, a larger saw will cut smaller but a small saw cannot cut larger and if you have space you get a lot more choice with floor standing ones.

Quick update. Saw is in my workshop. It has a rip fence but no mitre fence, but does come with a circle cutting attachment. After a full strip down and service I’m guessing I’ll be looking for £400 or thereabouts looking at recent sales. Will update as work progresses.

I have an Inca Euro 260 and agree that the machine on offer appears to be the earlier version (mine has start stop buttons facing operator and is blue).
Thrust bearing should be an easy fix snd crack in case should glue OK.
No idea why they are built backwards but it’s a great little band saw.
Have instructions which I can scan if required.

21 Apr 2021
Thankyou Hamster Jam [great name],
I would be very grateful if you could scan the manual for me. My e-mail address is

From all the posts on this subject I am getting the impression that this is a very capable machine.
Thankyou to everyone who has taken the trouble to post.

Last edited:
I would be very grateful if you could scan the manual for me.
Done and sent to your email address.
Please ignore first attempt - I somehow only saved two pages. Second email should have pdf file attached containing all nineteen pages.

Back