Small Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Record Power BS250 for 5 years or so. There are also other brands with the same look. Sometimes they have different table or different fence and some can be even two speed... Probably they all come from the same factory (from Asia?).

It took some time to set it up correctly and to master it as it was my first bandsaw. With right blade it has enough power to cut 120 mm of beech.

Recently I bought huge Felder FB510 but I will keep this small one for convenience and also for less power and less noise, and because I have a nice set of TuffSaw blades for it already. The bigger the better they say, well, this is the biggest that can fit in the basement...

Not to steal the thunder of the author, but what bandsaw would you guys recomend for resawing boards? It's pretty much the only (or at least the main) reason I'd want one. I might sometimes do some rough shaping on it (hate my jig saw).

As cheap as possible.

Thanks

Not to steal the thunder of the author, but what bandsaw would you guys recomend for resawing boards? It's pretty much the only (or at least the main) reason I'd want one. I might sometimes do some rough shaping on it (hate my jig saw).

As cheap as possible.

Thanks

What sort of budget do you have? Are you looking for a new or used machine? And how much resawing capacity do you want/need?

Maybe others can advise on smaller cheaper machines that can handle resawing. But, if looking for a new machine, I'd be considering one of the following moderately priced models:

Record Power Sabre 350 (14") @ £1,129.99 (ScoSarg)
ITech BS400 (16") @ £1,608.00 (ScoSarg)
Record Power Sabre 450 (18") @ £1,629.98 (ScoSarg)
Laguna 14/12 (14") @ £1699.00 (Laguna)
Laguna 14BX (14") @ 1899.00 (Laguna)

Prices include VAT. All look well built and should stand the test of time. The Sabre range review really well. The iTech is basically a new version of the old Startrite 403, which is a well considered machine. The Laguna's, though seemingly expensive for smaller 14" machines, are by all accounts fantastic saws with some really nice features including a resaw capacity of 330mm - impressive!

I should add that I don't have personal experience with any of these machines but have just bought a bandsaw and if I lived in the UK (and not buying second hand) these would have been the ones I would have been looking at. For me, it would have been between the ITech, Sabre 450 or Laguna 14BX. I think the Laguna 14BX may have won out because of its motor size (2.5kw) and greater depth of cut.

I'm based in France and the Laguna machines aren't readily available here. There are big delays on the Sabre machines, so I choose a Holzprofi HBS430M. Holzprofi make very good machines and provide excellent after-sales support (an important criteria for me), but they're not marketed in the UK.

That Holzprofi machine is effectively identical to one of the Axminsters. Generic Chinese import. Not a bad machine with several good features though you might well find a used SCM 45 for not much more money.

Dare I mention the Startrite 352?
And gentle slap on the wrist to ALZ for perpetuating the myth of Aberdonian thriftiness! I was a mean old b***** long before moving here.

That Holzprofi machine is effectively identical to one of the Axminsters. Generic Chinese import. Not a bad machine with several good features though you might well find a used SCM 45 for not much more money.

Little if any market here (French Guiana) for used machinary. If I'm importing then I'd prefer to do it with a warranty and after-sales technical support. You're right that the Holzprofi is a fairly generic Chinese/Taiwanese import. But the HBS480 (it's big sister) is a popular saw in France and reviews really well. The after-sales support from Holzprofi (France) is excellent. So it'll work for me. I toyed with importing a (new) Minimax but it was just too expensive.

I should add that the price listed on the website is not indicative of the price I paid. I bought a P/T and a double filtration extraction unit from them and got a substantial discount on the price of the combined machines.

Wow, a lot of feedback to go through, thank you all so much.

For the questions coming my way:
- New or used - I don't mind either, if I knew the machine is "near immortal", I'd be happy with used. More bang for less money.
- budget - as I said, I don't want to spend much. I feel like I can already make all the cuts I need on what equipment I have, except resawing wide (or any other) boards for a bookmatch. My table saw has got a small diameter blade, so I reckon I can only resaw maybe 120mm in total (cut half and flipping it).
- capacity - partially answered above. I obviously know the bigger the better, but that's also more money. I am also somewhat limited by my single garage shop that's getting pretty packed up. So having huge machines might not be the best move. I still need to move around :D

I guess what I'm after is the largest depth of cut for least money.

Thinking of going for the Record BS250 bandsaw...
I've been using that one for 20 years and its fine, and probably not the best idea, though some claim otherwise and certainly I've had zero problems, but theres never been a time where the tension has been let off. Had a tension'd 1/2" blade fitted all of that time.

It doesnt have a great deal of cut depth, but about a year ago I completely removed the upper guides,including bearings and assembly, so the cut depth went from 120mm to 165mm. I needed to deep rip some 150mm maple, and theres was no other options,as the original timber thickness and use meant i needed absolute minimum of kerf. I think I needed it to be 11mm, and took the saw marks off with a belt sander.
Nope, it didnt push the blade off the upper wheel, thought it might, but all went well. I did buy a new 3tpi blade to do the work with and went steadily without too much force.

All in all, given its length of use, versatility, I'd rate the RP 250 a good saw.

I have one of these and so far it has performed well although I haven't resawn anything large on it yet. Like most of these Chinese saws you will need better quality blades (Tuffsaws) and spend a day setting it up after watching some YouTube vids.
Lumberjack Tools - Lumberjack BS305 - 305mm Bandsaw 12 Inch Woodworking - Bandsaw -
There is a slightly bigger one
Lumberjack Tools - Lumberjack BS340 - 340mm Bandsaw 14 Inch Woodworking - Bandsaw -

The cast iron table is good, the fence and mitres are typically not the best but are usable.

This BS340 Lumberjack looks about the right size. Will probably not get much better for that money. 230mm seems deep enough of a cut. Thanks for the tip. Will probably spend some time looking on the ebay as well.

Back