Slow Drying Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am finally at the glue-up phase with the cot I have been making for some time now. The problem is, the side rails that keep the baby from rolling out consist of 18 dowels and 2 rails, and I can't get them together fast enough to use the standard PVA glue that I have (it starts to cure before I have all the bits together). What is an alternative that I can use that will give me say 30 mins play time to get everything right before it starts to harden?

Thanks a bunch as always :p

Alan

Hi Chris,

The items to be glues already have their finish applied. Would Balcotan be suitable for this or would it foam out onto the finish?

Cheers

Alan

Depending on how much water you add you can get about 3hrs working time with Extramite. Wipe any excess of before it dries as it is very hard and will take the edge off any tools.

Jason

Alan,
Most glues won't stick at all to most finishes!

What kind of finish have you used??? Chances are you will have to sand it down to the bare wood to get anything to stick properly. Epoxies are your best bet if you can't get rid of all the finish.

Re Extramite (aka Cascamite) I know others have success with this, I guess I have been unlucky but I just don't like it at all and in various informal tests I did in the past it sheared along the glue/wood interface rather easily. I would rate my experience as unusual given the number of folk who are happy with it though. It won't stick well to a finish however!

The final finish is Chestnut Melamine Lacquer. The ends to be glued have been taped and so are still bare wood. I just don't want a glue that will expand out and mar the finish. Something that squirts during glue-up and can be wiped off with a cloth is fine of course.

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

Sorry, I am being dumb! The Balcotan doesn't foam very much at all - it is designed not to - a lot different in that respect from other polys. Having said that it does foam a little but I find it comes off pre-finished parts pretty well and especially if a little paste wax has also been applied to the points where you don't want glue to stick.

Latest posts

Back