Slot mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello everybody,

Does anyone have any information on slot mortisers, the type that attaches to a planer thicknesser.

Are they as good or better than a bench mortiser? Apart from the rounded ends would you consider buying one instead of a bench model.

My reason for asking is so I could replace my existing thicknesser and bench mortiser thus freeing up much needed workshop space.

Thanks in advance

Oldun

Hi Oldun - Welcome to the Forum !!

I removed the slot mortiser from my Maxi 26 planer/ thicknesser in favour of a bench mortiser. It took up to much room, sticking out from the side of the p/t. You also have better visibility of what you are doing with the bench mortiser.

John

Welcome, Oldun.

I understand you can get a certain amount of "whip" in a slot mortiser cutter, but I have no experience of them. I put the attachment on the Maxi, walked into the corner of it three times in as many minutes, and took it off again in quick time... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Oldun, good to see you again and welcome.

Rgds

Noel

Oldun, welcome. From my experience i would go for a bench/floor model every time.

Regards

Woody

Does anyone have any information on slot mortisers, the type that attaches to a planer thicknesser.

Very possibly a more expensive option than a dedicated bench morticer. More awkward to setup and use. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, unless you absolutely don't have enough space. Even so you could mount a lightweight bench morticer on a baseboard - and tuck it away somewhere when not needed.

Ike

Hi Oldun

Welcome to the forum.

Why not dispense with the morticer and just use a router and jig?

Leigh and Trend do some pretty good jigs.

Cheers
Neil

When I purchased my Dewalt P/T last year I phoned Dewalt UK about the morticer attachment and was told that they are not allowed to sell them in Europe anymore because of safety issue and E.E.C. ban.

Do they still come with the Maxi or other combi m/c?

I have both as stand alone machines, I much prefer the slot mortiser, you can quickly and accurately move it back and forth and left to right, and just as easily set the depth.

It produces mortises much faster than my bench mortiser which now stands idle collecting dust.

The ones that add onto the P/Ts do take up a lot of space though I must admit, and most go on the back so you need room either side of your machine, a double whammy.

Thanks for all the responses, very helpfull information.

It looks like I was wrong, the slot mortiser is not going to save any space. I have an Elekta Beckum HC260M planer thicknesser on order so it will replace my just my Delta thicknesser.

Cheers

Oldun

Back