Slightly off topic - Concrete Mixers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafkaian

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this is mainly a woodworking site but I reckon some of you are expert enough to have wideranging views and experiences of general DIY/Building work.

Does anyone know of a decent brand to buy? I could go to Wickes and get a mixer off the shelf for £200 but it is any good? I don't want to hire because I know I shall require it more than a few times.

Usage: - Garden work, foundation laying, mortar mixing, floors and a few other uses.

Any help really appreciated

All the best

Ian

(Apologies moderators if you feel this should go in 'general', but I was unsure)

Addendum - Probably should have put this in "General" - Sorry people

I've had a Belle Mini 150 for about 5 years and can't fault it. It's mixed over a hundred tonnes and still going strong, not so sure about my back though :roll: .

Don't forget to keep the oil topped up.

Keith

I bought a cheap 'lecy model about 16 years ago from my local DIY (now Focus) on the basis that it's cost , IIRC £89, was far less than hiring for the job in hand, It was a smaller version of traditional site model not the lightweight folding jobby.
I personally mixed in excess of 40 ton of concrete and it is still on loan and in use by someone in the village.

In the intervening years it has seen many kilos of compost mixed when not mixing concrete.

Stands out in all weathers and has never tripper the RCB.

Froogle is your friend. Though not exhaustive in its listings, it shows a slightly cheaper price from Screwfix.

I got the Mini 130 and its done me fine - in the tens of tons range though, so it's got off lightly compared to some of the above. B&Q purchase, needed it in a hurry, £220 or so IIRC. Prices don't seem to vary much.

Jake":k9zl8sx6 said:
I got the Mini 130 and its done me fine - in the tens of tons range though, so it's got off lightly compared to some of the above. B&Q purchase, needed it in a hurry, £220 or so IIRC. Prices don't seem to vary much.

Even when you're doing only small amounts, the cumulative costs of hiring are disadvantageous.

Thanks for the advice

kafkaian":3hibfhxx said:
Even when you're doing only small amounts, the cumulative costs of hiring are disadvantageous.

Yes, quite. I've used it about 15 times, so it has paid for itself quite a few times over already. The hire charges are nuts compared to the value of the things, but I guess they get very abused.

unless you are planning on mixing large volumes and/or remote from power source I would get a small hobby electric mixer as mentioned above (petrol ones a lot more demanding mtce wise and stink car out when transporting)
John

tulsk":2nfs6yl5 said:
unless you are planning on mixing large volumes and/or remote from power source I would get a small hobby electric mixer as mentioned above (petrol ones a lot more demanding mtce wise and stink car out when transporting)
John

Yes I think you're right, not to mention the neighbours will probably complain about the noise

I bought a cheap electric one from B&Q about 20 years ago to build an extension. It mixed all the concrete for the foundations, cement for the block walls, and then the floor slab. Been using it for odd jobs ever since and still going strong.

Only drawback is that you are limited to the amounts you can mix in one go, esp for floor slabs, but if you get a system going so that it's mixing whilst you are laying (as the actress said to the bishop) then you spend very little time waiting.

RogerM":f8wwdxrs said:
I bought a cheap electric one from B&Q about 20 years ago to build an extension. It mixed all the concrete for the foundations, cement for the block walls, and then the floor slab. Been using it for odd jobs ever since and still going strong.

Only drawback is that you are limited to the amounts you can mix in one go, esp for floor slabs, but if you get a system going so that it's mixing whilst you are laying (as the actress said to the bishop) then you spend very little time waiting.

Thanks Roger - although I suspect a cheapie of 20 years ago might have been higher quality than some of the mid-ranged these days. I could be wrong.

I'm certainly getting the picture now and realise that I don't have to spend 100's for home building work

get a belle mini n150 and i will tell you how to get one real cheap.....
first wait for a 10% day at machine mart then go to a b and q warehouse within 10 miles of your machine mart store. claim your price promise voila... a superb hire quality mixer for a touch above £200. it will also hold its value when you sell.

johnnyb":22ywu91d said:
get a belle mini n150 and i will tell you how to get one real cheap.....
first wait for a 10% day at machine mart then go to a b and q warehouse within 10 miles of your machine mart store. claim your price promise voila... a superb hire quality mixer for a touch above £200. it will also hold its value when you sell.

Do they (MM) have a 10% day coming up?

Back